LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or feedback regarding this article. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have, and look forward to your feedback on this article!

Original Article - http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp

Fido@littlewhitedog.com
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 7:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I made the cable (great article). I tested it using one of those fancy CAT5 testers and it said everything was fine. But I can't get either computer to see the other one. I've tried with commercial crossover cables and either computers still can't see each other so i know it's not the cable. I know both NIC cards work as both computers have been connected to other networks. I'm using netBUI and TCP/IP as the protocols. IPs are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 and tried 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.252 as the subnets but still no success !!!!!!!
Brain
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 7:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

open a DOS prompt on each computer and ping the computer's own address

it sounds like something isn't working

Blame is for people who need a reason to be pissed off !
-Brain

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Spot
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 8:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Make sure your NIC's are set to Auto under "link speed / Duplex" too.

- Spot
Spot@LittleWhiteDog.com

"AssPunching is not allowed!"

Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

turns out the two 3com c595 don't work with each other. I changed out one card to a 3com c309 and it worked. thanks for your help guys.
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Important! Make sure that cable you make is more than 2.5 meters (about 8 feet) in length. According to the IEE 802.3 spec this is the correct length of a crossover cable to avoid signals bleeding thru from the XMIT or RECV pairs...

Fido@littlewhitedog.com
Rover
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

As a side note to the minimum cable length, the maximum cable lenght for braided wire CAT5 cable is 25feet and for solid core wire it is 100meters big difference. Many of the store bought crossover cables use braided wire and NOT solid core so if you buy a patch cord or a crossover cable and it is beyond 25 feet then it might have problems!

Rover
"...She went to the cupboard to get her poor dog a bone,
when she bent over Rover took over and gave her a bone of her own!"

bill
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Do crossover cables work for connecting gigabit copper ports? I'm trying to connect a Cisco 3524 Switch with 1000BaseT copper GBIC to a 3COM 4900 Switch (which has 12 "AutoMDIX" 100/1000 ports). I don't have the 3COM equipment yet, but I don't want to be short a cable when it gets here. I can't find much on connecting Gigabit Copper ports together on the search engines and I don't know what they mean by AutoMDIX. Does just mean that the crossover is built in as described in your article, or does it mean it will detect whether to crossover or not? Thanks for any help!
-Bill
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Do crossover cables work for connecting gigabit copper ports? I'm trying to connect a Cisco 3524 Switch with 1000BaseT copper GBIC to a 3COM 4900 Switch (which has 12 "AutoMDIX" 100/1000 ports). I don't have the 3COM equipment yet, but I don't want to be short a cable when it gets here. I can't find much on connecting Gigabit Copper ports together on the search engines and I don't know what they mean by AutoMDIX. Does just mean that the crossover is built in as described in your article, or does it mean it will detect whether to crossover or not? Thanks for any help!

A standard Category 5 cable should work just fine, and since it / they support AutoMDIX - that means the cable you use doesn't need to be a crossover cable. Standard Category 5 UTP with RJ-45 connectors should work just fine.

Fido@littlewhitedog.com
THC
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 8:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

We read your article on how to make a cross over cable, but we didn't really have all the tools, so we had to 'improvise' a little..

All we had were patch cables and a utility knife...

We spliced the wires in the middle, and didn't have any tape to tape it up with, so we used some spare address labels I had lying around.

This is the ghetto way to make a crossover cable.. and it DOES work!
Spot
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 3:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

LOL! Hey what works.... Works.Big Smile[8D]

- Spot
Spot@LittleWhiteDog.com

"AssPunching is not allowed!"

Brain
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

way to go !

never let a little thing like not having the right tools set you back [Wink]

i used to actually use labels on both ends of my cross-over cables so that i could tell them apart from everything else without too much thought

I'd just take the label and split it in half, and then wrap the entire half around whichever end

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Troy Thompson
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2001 11:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi, I am networking two computers at home and have a strange problem. I currently have a crossover cable (approx 15M long) and everthing works fine. I am trying to install this cable properly at home, by running a cable through the wall, and placing sockets at each end. I have made this a straight through cable. At one socket I place a normal patch lead to one computer and at the other socket I place a crossover cable to goto the other computer. For some reason my network just will not work this way. The total length of cable would be about 25M including patch and crossover leads. Is this too long? Am I getting too much loss through these connectors? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to my email address or icq. Thanks in advance. Troy.
smoke
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Demon,
That's a GREAT idea. I bet I have a dozen of those sitting around that I just throw at people. Now I can put it to good use. Why didn't I think of that?
Rick
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi ...i am running a lan centre with 60pcs.....my problem is i would like to connect to my new lan centre located only few doors away...it shld be abt 400feet.....how do i connect to the new centre?...what devices do i need to get both the lan centres connected?....the current lan centre is running on 2 100b switch.....thank you in advance.

View next topic
View previous topic