LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or feedback regarding this article. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have, and look forward to your feedback on this article!

Original Article - http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00040.asp
Smurf!
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

This box reminds me of the shuttle Space Walker mini-barebones design. I must say that I like the AMS a whole lot more though Big Smile
LarsMPCParts
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Thanks Fido for the great review.
I think that this is one of the nicest mini systems out there.
again thanks to Fido for the great writing.
Lars,
MPCParts.com
FaTCaT
Toilet Drinker
Toilet Drinker

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Sorry about this...Comments:

Posted by: FaTCaT On: 7/10/2002 @ 17:36
[quote] 150watt power supply, and a CFI-S86 P4 Socket478 Flex ATX MB.
what size cpu will this work with and isnt that power supply a little small?
Other then that it looks pretty good for surfing and office type stuff...For gaming...i'm not sure.

Posted by: FaTCaT On: 7/10/2002 @ 17:38
Also i enjoyed that review Fido...good job

... too lazy to write it again

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

FatCat

the board is matx, with only 1 pci slot, and 1 agp slot, and a max of only 3 drives

that's why it's able to get away with so little juice

of course, I can't answer if it has room for a full size (but much louder) power supply . . that you'll have to ask Fido

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
WebMasterP
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Have you tried to install linux on it yet? If you have, what were your results?
Admin
Toilet Drinker
Toilet Drinker

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

The 150watt PS holds up quite well, even with an add-on sound & video card. The processor I used for the review had a Northwood core - but I really doubt that makes much of a difference. The power supply must be "built" really well.

As for the Linux question, no I haven't yet but I'll try to during the next day or two.

- Fido
dgrgich
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Just bought mine - I was looking at Shuttle's system and almost took the plunge several times.

I'm planning on performing the mod mentioned in the review - cutting windows into the case - and will be adding a PCI powered fan for additional cooling. I'm hoping the power draw that these have won't be too much for the PS.
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

RE: Running Linux

Well, this message is being posted using the gBOX running Mandrake 8.2. I'm a real newbie when it comes to linux, so I guess since I've got it up and running this far that's a good thing. The first time I installed it didn't go well at all - once I change the setting in the bios for "Using Plug and Play OS" to yes it installed fine. Won't detect the sound card (using the Audigy card right now), but everthing else seems cool so far. I'll mess around a bit more with my limited knowledge of Linux and everyone know how it goes.

- Fido
hrbib21
Veteran Dog
Veteran Dog

Location: The Democratic Republic of The United States Of America

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I guess that thing is cool and all, but I still don't see the point. I wouldn't waste my time/money on it, though I admit, it could be a fun toy to mess with.

Great review Fido.

Life is a like a box of chocolates, when its done its done.

Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

So I'm guessing there aren't any overclocking options on that CFI board? It would make it a more tempting buy for a LAN box if you could get a cheap P4 and OC it.
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

So I'm guessing there aren't any overclocking options on that CFI board? It would make it a more tempting buy for a LAN box if you could get a cheap P4 and OC it.

Overclocking options are available in the bios. I'll snag some shots of the bios and post them in this thread later today.

I did do a little testing with the 2Ghz Northwood - pushed the FSB up to 105 - 2.1 Ghz. I'll try to push it a little farther tonight to see how well it holds up.
MWWInc
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Overclocking options are available in the bios. I'll snag some shots of the bios and post them in this thread later today.

Cool, thanks.
Brain
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Quote:

I did do a little testing with the 2Ghz Northwood - pushed the FSB up to 105 - 2.1 Ghz. I'll try to push it a little farther tonight to see how well it holds up.

AARRGGHH . . just stop . . you're making this thing more appealing as a Lanbox every time you post something Wink Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
squito

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:
AARRGGHH . . just stop . . you're making this thing more appealing as a Lanbox every time you post something
I was thinking SETI Box(s) here - could fit quite a few of these on my desk - wWink SmileWink Smilef !!!

September 11, 2001

View next topic
View previous topic