LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
Spot
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or feedback regarding this article. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have, and look forward to your feedback on this article!

Original Article - http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00019.asp

- Spot
Spot@LittleWhiteDog.com

"AssPunching is not allowed!"

Artstar
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

HEHEHEHHEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!! [Sticking out Tongue]

Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Cool Article i'm hanging to try some of those when i get home Very Happy
I really like the 'remove the shutdown' one thats cool :-D

[Very Happy]Big SmileBig Smile
Thanks Spot

...Beware I've been Known To Bite...
NeoFangs...

RegEdit
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 11:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I've found that one of the more annoying things you can do is this...

From the Win98 boot disk, there's a little file called restart.com
Now, all this file does is reboot your box when you run it. It doesn't work in Windows though so just call it from your autoexec.bat. Did that to someone a couple of weeks ago. Hilarious results. The file should be in the cab file in the Win98 boot disk. Either extract it with WinZip or boot up with the bootdisk and grab it from the RAMDrive. Easiest way is to extract it into C:\windows\ and then add "call c:\windows\restart.com" into the autoexec since it should have the path specified in the autoexec. Have fun Smile
Ed
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

hahaha...

Oh man, that stuff is good! I wish I had WIN to fool around with back when I had to work with a bunch of smelly co-workers all crowded next to me.

- Ed. Evil Smile
Lake
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

[}Smile]

That is all I have to say.

Lake
Web Monkey
http://www.wargamer.com

"Te odio tanto."
a318a
Toilet Drinker
Toilet Drinker

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I can't wait to try out the tricks and tips. Approve SmileCool Smile

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

I've found that one of the more annoying things you can do is this...

From the Win98 boot disk, there's a little file called restart.com
Now, all this file does is reboot your box when you run it. It doesn't work in Windows though so just call it from your autoexec.bat. Did that to someone a couple of weeks ago. Hilarious results. The file should be in the cab file in the Win98 boot disk. Either extract it with WinZip or boot up with the bootdisk and grab it from the RAMDrive. Easiest way is to extract it into C:\windows\ and then add "call c:\windows\restart.com" into the autoexec since it should have the path specified in the autoexec. Have fun Smile

Gotta love Reboot files. Nothing pisses off someone that doesn't know DOS to save their life more than being stuck in an endless loop and the only way to get out is go into DOS.

Something I forgot in the article is.... after running one or all of those .reg files, you can limit the person from getting into the registry too. It gives the same message about "restrictions on this computer". That way, the tech support guy can't even go into the registry to change those back to fix it unless he has access to policy editor.

Another fun thing to do is limit the applications that a user can run on his 98 machine. You can lock it down so tight that the only app he/she is "allowed" to run is notepad for example. Kisses Smile[Very Happy]

Glad you guys liked it. It's fun writing it and not locking yourself out of your own damn machine.

NOTE to Self: Make the "undo" reg file before testing the "do" reg file.

- Spot
Spot@LittleWhiteDog.com

hummer010

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

LOL!!

Eagles may fly, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!!

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Yea no shit!! HEHEH

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey,

First time i've been to this site...i like. Bookmarked.

Curiousity. I have a little friendly rivalry going on with a former supervisor here at work. We're on an NT network in the office, so whenever one of us forgets to lockdown our machine when we walk away, we'll pounce on each other's machine. He got me the other day by putting a nice adult image on my desktop, lol. These tricks would be absolutely sinister compared to the little crap we've done to each other. The paths in the registry in NT4 aren't the same as those listed for the 9x versions. I think the next one i'd like to try and pull off would the the NoClose regedit. Will it work in NT (guess i could try it first) and if so, what would be the appropriate path for it (again, guess i could try it first)?

- Will
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

First time i've been to this site...i like. Bookmarked.

Curiousity. I have a little friendly rivalry going on with a former supervisor here at work. We're on an NT network in the office, so whenever one of us forgets to lockdown our machine when we walk away, we'll pounce on each other's machine. He got me the other day by putting a nice adult image on my desktop, lol. These tricks would be absolutely sinister compared to the little crap we've done to each other. The paths in the registry in NT4 aren't the same as those listed for the 9x versions. I think the next one i'd like to try and pull off would the the NoClose regedit. Will it work in NT (guess i could try it first) and if so, what would be the appropriate path for it (again, guess i could try it first)?

Glad you like our site! Hopefully you find us to be just a little bit different than everyeone eles - at least we try to be.

As for NT4 give the registry thing a try. I might work, althought I've never tried it personally. A lot of the keys used by Policy Editor are the same across different MS Operating Systems.

Fido@littlewhitedog.com
Stumpy
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 1:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I can't locate a restart.com file on my windows98 boot disk. is there a link to download it? thanks.
chris_g_g
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Gotta love Reboot files. Nothing pisses off someone that doesn't know DOS to save their life more than being stuck in an endless loop and the only way to get out is go into DOS.

Something I forgot in the article is.... after running one or all of those .reg files, you can limit the person from getting into the registry too. It gives the same message about "restrictions on this computer". That way, the tech support guy can't even go into the registry to change those back to fix it unless he has access to policy editor.

Another fun thing to do is limit the applications that a user can run on his 98 machine. You can lock it down so tight that the only app he/she is "allowed" to run is notepad for example. Kisses Smile[Very Happy]

Glad you guys liked it. It's fun writing it and not locking yourself out of your own damn machine.

- Spot
Spot@LittleWhiteDog.com

I'm taking over a part time post as network-muppet sometime soon and would like to use some of the registry tips to lock out dumb-ass users from fiddling with the system.
I don't like using policy editor as I prefer to know whats going on in my systems!
Where could I obtain more registry entries like the "no shut down" one. Is there an official MS list of these entries anywhere?

Would it be possible to send me any lockdown reg's not listed on the site (like the app limiting)? Or maybe an URL to where I might find them?

Only recently found your site and thought it very amusing. Will also be using your tips in the "responsible" manner for which they were designed... he he he!!

Keep up the good work
Chris
(chris_g_g*AT*hotmail*DOT*com)

Edited by - chris_g_g on 02/15/2001 17:26:06

shiva
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2001 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey there
in my opnion the best piss off there is..in win95/98 not sure about win me is in the
system.ini
file find the line saying
shell=Explorer.exe
and delete explorer.exe from the line then save the file. what does this do? next time u boot up windows it will come up with a really nasty looking error saying that there is a critical problem running explorer and u must re-install windows..or something like that...but thats not the best bit...when the super intelligent computer techo re-installs windows over the top of you existing windows it will still come up with the same error!!
all i can say is sweet Smile
i love going into computer shops and removing that line from there demo computers..made some money out of it to by fixing it for some people Smile

View next topic
View previous topic