LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
ThunderDawg
Alpha Dog
Alpha Dog

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:33 pm   Post subject: Closer than Ever Reply with quote Back to top  

You, or I, could have made this discovery.

Scientists spot nearby 'super-Earth

(CNN) wrote:
- Astronomers announced this week they found a water-rich and relatively nearby planet that's similar in size to Earth.

While the planet probably has too thick of an atmosphere and is too hot to support life similar to that found on Earth, the discovery is being heralded as a major breakthrough in humanity's search for life on other planets.

"The big excitement is that we have found a watery world orbiting a very nearby and very small star," said David Charbonneau, a Harvard professor of astronomy and lead author of an article on the discovery, which appeared this week in the journal Nature.

The planet, named GJ 1214b, is 2.7 times as large as Earth and orbits a star much smaller and less luminous than our sun. That's significant, Charbonneau said, because for many years, astronomers assumed that planets only would be found orbiting stars that are similar in size to the sun.

Because of that assumption, researchers didn't spend much time looking for planets circling small stars, he said. The discovery of this "watery world" helps debunk the notion that Earth-like planets could form only in conditions similar to those in our solar system.

"Nature is just far more inventive in making planets than we were imagining," he said.

In a way, the newly discovered planet was sitting right in front of astronomers' faces, just waiting for them to look. Instead of using high-powered telescopes attached to satellites, they spotted the planet using an amateur-sized, 16-inch telescope on the ground.

There were no technological reasons the discovery couldn't have happened long ago, Charbonneau said.

The planet is also rather near to our solar system -- only about 40 light-years away.

Planet GJ 1214b is classified as a "super-Earth" because it is between one and 10 times as large as Earth. Scientists have known about the existence of super-Earths for only a couple of years. Most planets discovered by astronomers have been gassy giants that are much more similar to Jupiter than to Earth.

Charbonneau said it's unlikely that any life on the newly discovered planet would be similar to life on Earth, but he didn't discount the idea entirely.

"This planet probably does have liquid water," he said.

Guide Dog

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I don't have a 16 inch telescope.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

anglachel wrote:
I don't have a 16 inch telescope.

I don't have a 16 inch *anything*. Crying or Very sad

ThunderDawg
Alpha Dog
Alpha Dog

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

O Come ON.

Really? Undecided

Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I have a 19 foot long something

oh right, it's called a land yacht

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ThunderDawg wrote:
O Come ON.

Really? Undecided

This is not unexciting, but we have been able to detect earth-sized planets for a while now (he says whilst digging through a pile of old issues of New Scientist looking for the citation...)

Tell you what: If you're an astronomer, you keep looking for places to go. I'm an engineer, so I'll let you know when we have the means to get there.

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Seti ain't gett'n us there...We need to get it together quick....stop the world I wanna get off.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:46 am   Post subject: Re: Closer than Ever Reply with quote Back to top  

ThunderDawg wrote:
In a way, the newly discovered planet was sitting right in front of astronomers' faces, just waiting for them to look. Instead of using high-powered telescopes attached to satellites, they spotted the planet using an amateur-sized, 16-inch telescope on the ground.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/418353-REG/Meade_2008_MAX_02_LX400_ACF_16_406mm_Catadioptrc_Telescope.html

View next topic
View previous topic