LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Hot Deals & Free Stuff
onefast1
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:21 am   Post subject: Magicjack VOIP Reply with quote Back to top  

http://www.magicjack.com

I never fell for a infomercial before but this one got me good. I ordered it online vs the phone number and received my magicjack a few days later. The friggin thing works and works well. The features are awesome and if you are paying a regular phone bill every month I suggest you check this out. No more phone bills for me. No more Time warner voip, this is better!

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Looks good...

Quote:
On the 31st day you will be charged
$39.95 plus $6.95 s&h

Plus...you git charged $20 after the 2nd year. Still not a bad deal! Wink SmileBig Smile

onefast1
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

BamZipPow wrote:
Looks good...

Quote:
On the 31st day you will be charged
$39.95 plus $6.95 s&h

Plus...you git charged $20 after the 2nd year. Still not a bad deal! Wink SmileBig Smile

50$ for five.

squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

How do people call me? I assume this goes over the Internet.
squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Doesn't look like it would pay for someone to get this if it is not available in their City.
squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

And if you have to keep a computer on to make and receive phone calls, how much is it really going to save you. Elecrticity isn't cheap either.

I have been trying to find a way to get my wife to drop our land line because we both have cell phones and we don't even use the 1400 minutes we have for those plans. This might be the ticket but I think she will balk at keeping the computer on. I might have to pick up a small form factor pc with the VIA cpu in it. Stripped down, no monitor or anything.

They are already make hybrid phones that can do normal phone calls and skype. If they can make a stripped down device that could do this, then I would be really impressed.

I think the main reason for her keeping the land line is because it still works when the power goes out. She wants to be able to make an emergency phone call if she has to.
Rahhstah
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

squashman wrote:
I think the main reason for her keeping the land line is because it still works when the power goes out. She wants to be able to make an emergency phone call if she has to.

What's the cell phone for then?

squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Rahhstah wrote:
squashman wrote:

What's the cell phone for then?

When we are not at home. In theory the cell phones should work when the power goes out but she seems to think that if the power goes out the Cell towers will lose power as well, and we won't be able to make phone calls. I am just trying to find some way to save some money.

I never used my cell phone much but now that I have a Palm Centro I use the damn thing all the time. Smart phones are as addicting as drugs.
Superdwarf
The Movie Dwarf
The Movie Dwarf

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

squashman wrote:
And if you have to keep a computer on to make and receive phone calls, how much is it really going to save you. Elecrticity isn't cheap either.

Use that puter to fold baby Fold Laughing Laughing Laughing

elevators smell differently to Dwarf's
Thanks to O2 for the neat Avatar
I'm not short! Danny Devito is short I'm a dwarf!
If you don't like my spelling...learn Dwarfish

Retired and spending my son's inheritance Wink
squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Superdwarf wrote:
squashman wrote:

Use that puter to fold baby Fold Laughing Laughing Laughing

I kind of gave up on that after Seti Classic died.

The nice thing about the Magic Jack is that you can take it with you when you travel. But you currently can't transfer your old number to the new service. I would like to be able to do that.
squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

OK, I am confused by this....

Quote:
If we use magicJack for all our local and long distance service will I need a second one for traveling?

Yes you will. But by traveling with a second Magic Jack, it will pay for itself almost immediately.

But they say you should be able to take the magic jack with you anywhere and be able to use it. Why would I need to buy a second one for traveling? Not to mention most Cell carriers have nationwide coverage these days with no roaming charges.

And this concerns me as well.
Quote:
Our 911 service is different than 911 service offered on traditional phone lines.
What does that mean?
hummer010

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

squashman wrote:
In theory the cell phones should work when the power goes out but she seems to think that if the power goes out the Cell towers will lose power as well, and we won't be able to make phone calls.

If your cell provider doesn't have some sort of backup power on their cell towers, it's time to get a new cell provider.

The biggest problem with cell and voip is 911. Many 911 agencies can't locate a cell or voip phone, while a land line is easy to locate. Cell locating is getting better with gps in the phones and triangulation, but the tech isn't available to all 911 agencies yet.

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I just bought a Palm Centro and it doesnt have the damn gps location module. Even my cheap free LG phone from my list Cell provider had one and my cheap Kyrocea phone I had 4 years ago had that as well. I am not sure why Palm refuses to put essential things like GPS and wifi into their phones. I know it takes more power, but put a damn option in there to turn it off.
onefast1
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Magickjack registers the phone number with the proper 911 center for your address. when you first setup the MJ it shows the 911 address in the dialog window with a stop light. When its red you have no 911, yellow means its registering with the local 911 center. After the center acknowledges the number the indicator goes green meaning you have the correct 911. Mine took about 2 hours to get confirmation back from 911. I have a Dallas number but am registered with the local Irving 911 center.

As far as having a comp on all the time this was easy for me. I have a dedicated machine thats on so I just use it for the VOIP.

The second MJ is so your main number stays at home. If you on the road and you wife is at home then she cant make calls. You get 2 MJ's so she has a number and you have a number.

I got 2 MJ's one for me and one for Dy. I'm shipping the MJ to him so he has a stateside number. no more international calls $$$.

The 30 day free trail has been bumped to the 31'st so give it a try ...

squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

onefast1 wrote:
The second MJ is so your main number stays at home. If you on the road and you wife is at home then she cant make calls. You get 2 MJ's so she has a number and you have a number.

I got 2 MJ's one for me and one for Dy. I'm shipping the MJ to him so he has a stateside number. no more international calls $$$.

The 30 day free trail has been bumped to the 31'st so give it a try ...

Isn't that why we all have cell phones. So when we travel, people can get a hold of us. Shipping one to Dy, sure is a good idea. But what is wrong with using Skype to talk to him.

View next topic
View previous topic