LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
wolven
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 am   Post subject: New System Reply with quote Back to top  

Ok... since the school i'm going to is totally contradictory in hardware requirements ( 2 different sections, one is the laptops you can buy from them, one is the minimum requirements from same page, and one is minimum requirements for online class... which you do exact same things you'd see on the laptops )..

mimimums if going on campus
Code: Select all

•   Pentium® 4 Processor 540 w/HT Technology @ 2.8 GHz,
•   Or Pentium M @ 2.8 GHz,
•   Or Intel Core Duo @ 2.0 GHz,
•   Or AMD equivalent or better
•   1GB RAM
•   DVD/CD-RW drive
•    80 GB Free Hard Disk Space 5400 RPM minimum
•   Stereo sound card
•   Monitor – 1024 x 768
•   Graphics Accelerator –
            Required:
•nVidia GeForce 2, GeForce 4mx, or better
•OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better
 Recommended:
•nVidia GeForce FX 5600, GeForce 6600, or better
•OR ATI Radeon 9600, X600, or better

Laptop you can buy if you go to campus

1.   Microsoft Windows XP Pro
2.   Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20-GHz, 800-MHz FSB, 4-MB L2 cache
3.   2048-MB 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
4.   120-GB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
5.   DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL LightScribe Drive
6.   15.4-inch WUXGA anti-glare wide-viewing angle (1920 x 1200 resolution)
7.   NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M graphics with 256MB dedicated memory (512 MB TurboCache)
8.   High Definition Audio w/24-bit DAC
9.   Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
10.   HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology
11.   Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)
12.   56K Modem
13.   Full-sized keyboard
14.   Touchpad with scroll zone
15.   TPM Embedded Security Chip 1.2
16.   HP Fingerprint Sensor
17.   Power 8-cell (73 WHr) Battery
18.   3-year Parts and Labor Warranty (1 year for Battery)
19.   3-year Accidental Damage Protection Service

minimum requirements listed on website.

Pentium® 4 Processor 540 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz, 800FSB)
512 meg RAM
Graphics card /128 meg RAM/1024x768x16 bit color
DVD/CD-RW drive
Hard drive: 80 gig – 6.2 hrs of digital video
Stereo sound card
Monitor – 1024 x 768

So... which is it i'm supposed to have?... if i go with minimum requirements listed on website, my computer isnt going to be able to do jack ( game and simulation programming... 3d graphics, you know... stuff that might need a semi fast computer to render and process? ).
if i follow the campus minimum requirements, it will work, but it'll be slow and probably need upgraded by end of the year.

and if i build the laptop they have, well, its a HP/Compaq..

So, instead... i build my own PC

[u]Recycled:[/u]
Luan Li PC-88? ice blue case
Random assorted cdrw and dvd+-rw
[u]New[/u]
Rosewill RX750-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail
EVGA 512 meg Gefore 7950 GT KO SLI enabled ( i couldnt get a second card though )
DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
* CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

So.. since they refused to decide what requirements they had, why not just blow most of them away? Smile
fathertyme
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

see if you can find when the pages were last updated

odds are that ONE is the official page being updated, the other is an "informational" page updated by someone else (and out-dated)

[9:08pm][09/16/2005]«+ flip » college...what is that
[9:08pm][09/16/2005]«+ Aff » apparently a place where you find rum
---
English doesn't just borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys, smashes them over the head and roots around in their pockets for loose vocabulary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wolven
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Actually, from what i am reading.

The two sections that talk about campus...

the 'min requirements' is, if you already have a laptop, and refuse to buy the one from the school, then it has to be xxxxxxxxx.. with the understanding if you barely meet those requirements, you'll have to upgrade before your out of school.

The laptop they give you, is supposed to last the 2 years 9 months it takes to get bachelors degree, and still be functioning fine.

The website one, is exact same as first requirements.. they work 'for now' but thats not to say in 90 days they wont.
Slymer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

sounds like you're going to DeVry. They always do stupid crap like that. yeah... build the powerhouse system and then you won't need to build anything new for another 3-4 years... maybe more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
JustAnEngineer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:19 pm   Post subject: Re: New System Reply with quote Back to top  

wolven wrote:
So, instead... i build my own PC
Recycled:
Luan Li PC-88? ice blue case
Random assorted cdrw and dvd+-rw
New
Rosewill RX750-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail
That's probably okay. Rosewill's not a great brand, but the power supply is so ridiculously oversized that it should do okay with your system. I have been pleased with my SeaSonic power supplies. A decent 500W unit should be sufficient. Even the Fortron Source AX-450PN would be enough.
Quote:
EVGA 512 meg Geforce 7950 GT KO SLI enabled ( i couldnt get a second card though )
Don't get a GeForce 7 card. GeForce 8800GTS is a good choice for 3D gaming at the moment. If you want to keep the budget down, a Radeon X1950XT or X1950Pro would provide more bang for the buck and better image quality than the GeForce 7 card, understanding that these are DX9 cards while the GeForce 8 has DX10 features.
Quote:
DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
SLI is a gimmick. You could get a decent motherboard with a single PCIe slot for significantly less money. One good graphics card is a much better choice than two underpowered or obsolete ones.
Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
* CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
I'm a big fan of Thermalright heatsinks. The stock AMD cooler is quite decent if you're not much of an overclocker.

Which component of your existing Socket-939 system doesn't meet the requirements?

View next topic
View previous topic