LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

It's a story I think is worth following.

I'm hardly the only one on the case, though, but I'm trying to find certain viewpoints that are not what the rest of the braying anti-MS crowd is, well, braying.

I need to eventually make the point that Microsoft's software used to be pretty good. I can remember when it was. In fact, Windows 2000 was the best one I can remember. Unfortunately, their corporate strategy is so unpalatable to me I can't just swallow it. I'm not the swallowing type anyway.
Sticking out Tongue

But yeah I'm going to keep this one alive, plus some other threads I haven't been paying attention to. There are so many things to write, but I had to get some other stuff done and it has been in the way of writing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I think I called it right.

fathertyme
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Lycander wrote:
blahpony wrote:
Well, it is a really big haystack. Wink

So? Grep it Razz

Sorry, Microsoft doesn't contain a grep command.

They are probably designing one, but its taking a long tyme to get the GUI just right, and well, now its running into memory problems, and they have to find a way to store all the data they want to grep into physical memory..

Well.. you can just imagine the other issues

[9:08pm][09/16/2005]+ flip college...what is that
[9:08pm][09/16/2005]+ Aff apparently a place where you find rum
---
English doesn't just borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys, smashes them over the head and roots around in their pockets for loose vocabulary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I mentioned Ernie Ball on another Website I visit because this guy was contemplating moving off of Microsoft and onto Linux. So I told him the short version of Ernie Ball. Some other Guy Chimed in and bashed Ernie Ball.

Quote:
What Mr. Ball doesn't tell you is that more than 80 percent of his company's computers were not properly licensed software titles. Everything from Windows to Adobe Photoshop were downloaded from crack sites, stored on his pirated Windows 2000 Terminal Server and running.

He broke the law and in a huge way with total dis-regaurd of software copyrights. More than likely his own employees turned him in. That's about how 90 percent of BSA warrants come to, in regards to companies running software (and not selling or producing them). Don't forget...there are "artists" that buy his products....that depend on copyrights to make them money. A good majority of his employees are musicians.

He didn't save himself any money. If anything, being properly licensed could have saved him 60,000.

He didn't take in account for legal fees, re-training, lost production or buying any new hardware like printers that worked with Linux in the manner almost all printers work with Windows.

I help companies almost everyday save costs on licenses....and Linux is by far not free. There are senarios where Linux is better....I love their PBX boxes....and LAMP and recommend them all the time. Even old PII machines make great routers for small companies with less than 10 people. Heck, there are Linux Routers out there that put Cisco Enterprise routers to shame in terms of price/performance ratios. Cisco PIX firewalls are no longer recommended by me because of Linux.

He is angry about being busted...and has to justify it in some way.....however he isn't fooling anyone that works in the industry.

Trust me, I have been audited....and a few servers out of license won't get you fined. What ever he did, I highly doubt he got fined in accordance to the max the law whould allow, for EVERYTHING he stole.

Here is the link.
http://leovilletownsquare.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/16468/tp/1/
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Wow, I checked out that website. The sound of axes grinding was very loud.

That guy said a bunch of stuff I don't agree with, but then again I can't be arsed to respond there. The stuff about "enterprise printers not running with Linux" is kind of funny, since postscript was originally made to run on unix servers and I've not met a postscript printer that doesn't run under CUPS. It all comes down to how you describe the printer's capabilities to the spooler.

And of course, he, like everyone, misses the part about "freedom", not "free". Nobody (well, not the FOSS folks) is claiming that the Free and Open Source Software movement is free, as in beer. That's a bit of FUD perpetuated by the proprietary software industry. Free as in freedom means you aren't locked into a proprietary trap, and you have the freedom to change vendors without losing all of your data.

Which brings us to the "get the facts" campaign, which Microsoft would have made some valid points if they had followed their own rules. They say that the major costs are the training, the people, the maintenance, etc. But they don't weight the costs fairly so the campaign lost credibility with people who actually look at costs like that for a living (like me, for instance).

Anybody want to take any bets on the total cost of ownership for Vista? You can start with the cost of the Vista-ready hardware. And let's talk about free as in freedom there...

squashman
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

EdisonRex wrote:
Anybody want to take any bets on the total cost of ownership for Vista? You can start with the cost of the Vista-ready hardware. And let's talk about free as in freedom there...

Peter Gutman wrote a nice article about it.
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

E-Rex, would you like me to quote you over on that forum with your response. I would be happy to ask the user to come join our forums and discuss this topic like gentledogs.
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

squashman wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:

Peter Gutman wrote a nice article about it.
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

E-Rex, would you like me to quote you over on that forum with your response. I would be happy to ask the user to come join our forums and discuss this topic like gentledogs.

I have no objections, although people are entitled to their opinions and I don't expect to change minds. A lot of people make money with their MCSE "degree" and far be it from me to expect them to not defend their position. I need to put my kids through college too.

Skookum
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

fathertyme wrote:
Lycander wrote:
blahpony wrote:
Well, it is a really big haystack. Wink

So? Grep it Razz

Sorry, Microsoft doesn't contain a grep command.

They are probably designing one, but its taking a long tyme to get the GUI just right, and well, now its running into memory problems, and they have to find a way to store all the data they want to grep into physical memory..

Well.. you can just imagine the other issues

Take a look at Exchange 2007 they are running what appears to be Bash

Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

exchange 2007 makes extensive use of Powershell. Now, Powershell is a very nice product addition, if you're into Microsoft stuff, and Exchange is certainly a Microsoft product designed to run on Microsoft approved hardware with Microsoft protocols embedded in it.

So Powershell may be a good thing (I use it now at work, it rocks) but remember it only works on .net so no trying to integrate with mono or anything reckless like that.

Ironic that Microsoft is now headed back towards the use of the command line... But it's a good thing for people who have to try to manage these environments. If you can leverage the skills you learned in the command line world (and I can argue that there are many who have no CMD-fu) it will save a lot of effort.

It's almost worth an article about the active directory, and the backpedaling from query based management to macro based management. But I need to read up and play a bit more with Exchange 2007. We're not migrating to it until after it's out for real and we have seen other people use it successfully.

CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Ballmer rears his ugly head again:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ballmer_repeats_threats_against_Linux/0,130061733,339273726,00.htm

creed
Veteran Dog
Veteran Dog

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

CheeseMonger The Great wrote:
Ballmer rears his ugly head again:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ballmer_repeats_threats_against_Linux/0,130061733,339273726,00.htm

This guy is a PR disaster for M$. IF the Board in Redmond had any smarts, they'd give this guy a cushy non-public job and give whatever his job is to someone that doesn't have foot-in-mouth disease. Every time I hear this guy talk it reinforces my reasoning to not deal with Redmond and their "benefits".

Now if you excuse me, I've got to fix more of their "features", like how they randomly delete vritual containers in their VMWare killer Rolling Eyes

View next topic
View previous topic