LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Code Warriors
Skookum
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:05 pm   Post subject: Javascript Type Property Change in IE Reply with quote Back to top  

I am trying to change a field from hidden to a checkbox. And I am able to do this fine in FireFox but not in IE.

Form Code
Code: Select all

<input type='Hidden' id='Heat1' name='mlsoptionsheat[]' value='Ceiling'>Ceiling<br>

Javascript

document.getElementById('Heat1').type = "checkbox";

But when I do this in IE I get an error

Line: 321 Char: 3 Error: Could not get the type property. This Command is not supported. Code: 0

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Or how I can change a field from hidden to checkbox, or radio button, or type?

Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Nest the input tag inside a DIV and rewrite it with innerHTML?

Skookum
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Nope that takes me back to where I was in the beginning by using innerHTML to create the value.

I think what I am going to have to do is determine the type of browser and then pull up the correct JavaScript file as per which browser the user is using.

At least until I can come up with a permanent solution. I have until Friday to get this site up and running.

Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'll put on a pot of coffee.

Falkon303
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I saw this thread from 2006..... , and ran into the same issue with IE.

I created a javascript function to change elements dynamically.

It works great, and all that is required is associating a prior a tag id to the associated button id, with a following "_a".

Works in FireFox also, although I had some issues with the value readout/report.

update : typos.... too much coffee (you guys inspired my to get javanated)

The script is as follows -

<body>

<!-- THESE ARE THE INPUT ELEMENTS -->
<form name="thesillyform" id="thesillyform" method="post">
<a id="mybuttonvalue_a" name="mybuttonvalue_a" >
<input name="mybuttonvalue" id="mybuttonvalue" type="button" value="My Tricky Button 1" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br>
<a id="mybuttonvalue2_a" name="mybuttonvalue2_a" >
<input name="mybuttonvalue2" id="mybuttonvalue2" type="button" value="My Tricky Button 2" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br>
<a id="mybuttonvalue3_a" name="mybuttonvalue3_a" >
<input name="mybuttonvalue3" id="mybuttonvalue3" type="button" value="My Tricky Button 3" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br>
<a id="mybuttonvalue4_a" name="mybuttonvalue4_a" >
<input name="mybuttonvalue4" id="mybuttonvalue4" type="button" value="My Tricky Button 4" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br>
<a id="5_a" name="5_a" >
<input name="5" id="5" type="button" value="My Tricky Button 5" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br>
<a id="blahblah_a" name="blahblah_a" >
<input name="blahblah" id="blahblah" type="button" value="button button" onmouseover="btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();">
</a><br><br><br>
<!-- END INPUT ELEMENTS -->

<!-- THIS IS THE READOUT OF THE INPUT ELEMENTS VARIABLES -->
<table width="27%" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
  <tr>
    <td width="54%"><div align="right"><strong>Input Type: </strong></div></td>
    <td width="46%"><input type="text" name="status" id="status"></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><div align="right"><strong><span id="idelement" name="idelement">Button </span>Id: </strong></div></td>
    <td><input type="text" name="ids" id="ids"></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><div align="right"><strong><span id="valueelement" name="valueelement">Button </span> Value: </strong></div></td>
    <td><input type="text" name="value" id="value"></td>
  </tr>
    <tr>
    <td><div align="right"><strong><span id="atagelement" name="atagelement">A tag </span> ID (should be!): </strong></div></td>
    <td><input type="text" name="atag" id="atag"></td>
  </tr>
</table>
<!-- END READOUT OF THE INPUT ELEMENTS VARIABLES -->

</form>

<script>
/* Notice: 

I use the appended "_a" for the javascript function to recognize the related a tag innerHTML tied to the button ID. 
Rename / add as many input elements as you need as long as this structure is intact.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
ALSO: The Input Elements can be changed to any kind of input by modifying the "variant" variable in the below javascript.
PLEASE leave these comments intact.

Enjoy! - Ben Althauser
*/

btnid = "";
btnvalue = "";

function chgbk()
{
variant = "button";
document.getElementById(btnid + "_a").innerHTML = "<input onmouseover=\"btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;change();\" type=\"" + variant + "\" name=\"" + btnid + "\" id=\"" + btnid + "\" value=\"" + btnvalue + "\">";
document.getElementById('status').value = variant;
document.getElementById('ids').value = btnid;
document.getElementById('value').value = btnvalue;
document.getElementById('atag').value = btnid + "_a";
}
function change()
{
variant = "text";
document.getElementById(btnid + "_a").innerHTML = "<input onmouseout=\"btnvalue=this.value;btnid=this.id;chgbk();\" type=\"" + variant + "\" name=\"" + btnid + "\" id=\"" + btnid + "\" value=\"" + btnvalue + "\">";
document.getElementById('status').value = variant;
document.getElementById('ids').value = btnid;
document.getElementById('value').value = btnvalue;
document.getElementById('atag').value = btnid + "_a";
}
</script>
</body>

Falkon303
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

T wrote:
Welcome aboard, Falkon303. Always good to see new members jumping right in.

You know, as an update to this subject, don't bother using the script I posted. Although innerHTML methods *can* work, they by no means are proper, nor reliable.

Targetting - document.getElementById('whatever').firstNode.value/src/href

is a very nice approach to dynamically changing the behavior of elements.

My hat goes off to the gents at dyndrive for their assistance in learning this.

- Ben

View next topic
View previous topic