LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
hadees
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:31 am   Post subject: My Fridge, Magnets and Computers Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey so i got this idea for a cool computer i want to build that would go on my Fridge. The idea is it would run Linux and MythTV.

So far the only parts I have found for it is an Open-Frame LCD Touchscreen Monitor.

I still need to find a good motherboard and a power source. I was thinking that I would just use a standard ATX motherboard with onboard video. This would then make it so I don't need a video card sticking up at 90 degrees. But that still leaves a power souce and they are usally huge. So if anyone has any ideas on this front I am kind of up in the air right now about the powersouce. I also need an elegant way of running the power cord.

Another problem I face is I was thinking of adding additional pci cards. Now these would normally need to sit at 90 degrees which wouldn't work. Does anyone know of an extender for pci, like a wire or adapter that would let a pci card sit parallel to the motherboard? One idea that I would like to explore is getting a rfid hooked up to this computer and marking my food with rfid tags to track expiration and ingredients. I was thinking there must be a pci rfid reader out there.

I know hacking a laptop might be the best solution but is there any instructions on this? I really need to have a touch screen. I guess another solution would be to just use a tablet PC.

And the final problem I am going to face is the magnets. Now I invision this computer sticking onto my fridge. So the problem I face is first getting strong enough magnets to hold it on the fridge and shielding the computer from these magnets. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

dont worry about the magents, these are fine around computers without CRT monitors (like n LCD touchscreen) and strong as hell

Maybe one of them via C3 ITX mainboards woudl suit ya:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81

This one has LVDS output so you can attach a laptop LCD screen to it.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/epiame6000l.html

Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Don't bother with the magnets, you'll screw up your hard drive. You may also drop the computer accidentally if it's up there with a magnet. The only way I can think of is screws. I'd mount the screen to one side of a piece of plywood and everything else to the other side. I am unfamiliar with LVDS, but to the best of my knowledge laptops displays need a controller card specific to that model of display. Those typically cost a couple hundred dollars, and are a wiring mess. I like the display you already found.

To run a PVR you probably need a decently fast processor. I haven't used an EPIA motherboard so you might want to check specs to see if they can keep up, or if that program will even work on their non-Intel/AMD processor. If it doesn't keep up you may want to try a standard micro-ATX motherboard, my pick would be a soyo SY-P4RC350 with an integrated ATI Radeon 9100 Pro video card with VGA, S-video, and composite TV output (in case you went with an LCD TV instead.)

You're looking for a pci riser card so the pci card doesn't stick out. You can get them for multiple slots if you need more than one ad-on card. I haven't used one so I don't know what kind or where to get it, just google it. I used a microATX power supply for my last project, it was much smaller than a standard one. This is the best one I could find, an Enermax:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103453
quijbe
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

You insult me.
All Hard Drives have very powerful magnets in them. You have to have a serious, and we are talking serious magnet to affect a hard drive from outside it's enclosure. Read this, get informed.

Guess what those controller cards are that power laptop LCDs? LVDS controllers ?

appreciate the input on the PSU though.
The possibility of dropping it while securing or removing from the fridge was a good thing to point out too.

View next topic
View previous topic