LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
cygnusx
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: Comp Making Room Warm? Reply with quote Back to top  

I leave the window open all night when i'm here sitting at the comp. It's very cold outside now & opening the window SHOULD cool off my bedroom. Well, it doesn't. Could it be my fanless case producing all the heat? (HP Case Still)

The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Comp Making Room Warm? Reply with quote Back to top  

cygnusx wrote:
Could it be my fanless case producing all the heat? (HP Case Still)

Fanless case? You have no fans in yer case? It must be a very quiet computer.

A quick test would be to turn yer computer off one night and see... Wink Smile

Are you upstairs above a warm room? Warm air rises... Wink Smile

Stuff a towel under the door, block off all the heat vents (tape some cardboard over them), open yer window completely wide open, put a fan near the window, put the fan on high and have it suck some cold air inside and circulate that coldness around yer room... Big Smile

Dypheron
LWD Staff
LWD Staff

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Heh. You complain about the heat from one PC? Here, let me ship you the two boxen I run in my room. Both dual xeon boxes. SmokinAMD can attest ot the fact that the older one is a mini space heater.

What can't be solved with the proper amount of RDX?
[21:17] *** Rah has changed the topic on channel #lwd to [1:16pm]+Dypheron if someone wants to search my teabag, they damn well better give me a happy ending

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-1971)
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

The first law of cooling is to get airflow. It doesn't matter what size box, a small box (computer case) or larger (room), or really big (house). You have to get airflow, either by making it do the work itself (convection) or by assisting it (with fans, usually). Just opening a window may not actually do much of anything if you haven't got airflow or convection away from the heat source.

It sounds like you have convection near your heat sources (it feels warm there) but you are not getting cool air in. Try a window fan, at the bottom of the window, doesn't have to be large but you have to draw air into the room.

tom
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I don't have a heater in my room. I have an AMD box. Laughing

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Dypheron wrote:
Here, let me ship you the two boxen I run in my room. Both dual xeon boxes. .

Hey...thats fine with me Very Happy

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:33 am   Post subject: Re: Comp Making Room Warm? Reply with quote Back to top  

BamZipPow wrote:
cygnusx wrote:
Could it be my fanless case producing all the heat? (HP Case Still)

Fanless case? You have no fans in yer case? It must be a very quiet computer.

The case just has the quiet fan w/heatsink & one blowing hot air out of the psu.

I'm in the upstairs bedroom but it's always cold downstairs & very cold in the basement.

Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Funny this came up today. Because I was just looking at the case temps for my P4EE and to my dismay I realised the mobo temp was 50C and the video chip was at 60. Something about all that warm air under my desk.

So with Bam kibbitzing, I got out my dryer vent kit I never got around to putting on the dryer (it's got a vent anyway)... and turns out if I put a flange on the end of the vent pipe, it fits over the PS fan exhaust. I can then vent the heat exhaust out from underneath my desk. Instant 8C cooling. Now I need to work on supply air, but that might not be too hard to achieve.

seems like I need to work on isolating the exhaust from the intakes.

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

EdisonRex wrote:
So with Bam kibbitzing, I got out my dryer vent kit I never got around to putting on the dryer (it's got a vent anyway)... and turns out if I put a flange on the end of the vent pipe, it fits over the PS fan exhaust. I can then vent the heat exhaust out from underneath my desk. Instant 8C cooling. Now I need to work on supply air, but that might not be too hard to achieve.

seems like I need to work on isolating the exhaust from the intakes.

Did someone call? Big Smile

Yeah!! Someone took my advice about snorkels... Wink Smile

random

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I had Nine PCs all running 24/7 in one room for a while. the room was always 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and that was the basement.
Loud too. it was loud in there.

die("radio star");
}
anglachel
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I actually started folding (and joined the forums) because They hadn't turned on the heat in my room at school yet, so I cranked up the ol' amd to keep me warm.... worked pretty damn well actually....

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
Ed
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:
I'm in the upstairs bedroom but it's always cold downstairs & very cold in the basement

Is there a thermostat upstairs or in your room?

- Ed.

- grommit
tecgod13
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'd recommend finding a way to turn the heat in your room down. Its quite easy to open a window and let the cold air in, but parents usually don't like to waste money on heat so they might not like the open window deal.

One year in college between my computer being on 24-7 and the good sized mini fridge I had (one of those "coiless" ones, produces heat on all sides) I think the heat only turned on once all year. Might not seem too spectacular, but I went to college up in Potsdam, NY and the temperature was way the hell below freezing for a good part of the winter. I think that one time the heat came on was when I had left the window open one night.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

tecgod13 wrote:
I'd recommend finding a way to turn the heat in your room down. Its quite easy to open a window and let the cold air in, but parents usually don't like to waste money on heat so they might not like the open window deal.

One year in college between my computer being on 24-7 and the good sized mini fridge I had (one of those "coiless" ones, produces heat on all sides) I think the heat only turned on once all year. Might not seem too spectacular, but I went to college up in Potsdam, NY and the temperature was way the hell below freezing for a good part of the winter. I think that one time the heat came on was when I had left the window open one night.

so were you at Clarkson or SUNY Potsdam?

tecgod13
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

EdisonRex wrote:
so were you at Clarkson or SUNY Potsdam?

Clarkson. I had a good friend and roomate senior year that was dating a girl from SUNY.

In other news, the two AMD puters we have in the den seem to keep it really warm, wasn't fun in the summer, should be nice this winter.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

View next topic
View previous topic