LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Moding ntoskrnl.exe doesn't appear tro work with SP 4 boys and girls!!

We have a BIG problem! I don't want to see that f...... splash screen from M$!
chbojorq
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: re:Moding ntoskrnl.exe doesn't appear tro work with SP 4 Reply with quote Back to top  

yes it does Wink
you must override all 3 locations of ntoskrnl.exe though:

-windows\system32\dllcache\
-windows\system32\
-windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp4.cab (sp4.cab must be extracted then recompressed after replacement of file)

lemme know if questions...thanks to ppl who figured it out first!

-chad Cool
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I DON'T modify the orginal file. It just gets left there to keep the O/S happy eliminating the meed to modify all 3 files.
I add a additional file with a additional line in the boot.ini file pointing to that new file with the modded image.
This worked fine with sp3.
With sp4 it doesn't. The modded ntoskrnl.exe size increases dramatically where it didn't in sp3! I get a error message at boot stating ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt with any modded ntoskrnl file.

I then modded the image within the ntoskrnl file to remove the M$ crap and make it a grey image instead of the bright white screen that you need sunglasses to view and the resulting file was slightly smaller than the orginal. It did work.

It's just when I replace the image with something else it doesn't. Mind you all the images I use are from LWD's selections using the same procedure as before with Reasource Hacker.
sully_51

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I've modified the boot.ini many times on SP4 and I never had any problems with it...hmm, strange...

Trying to find my way around a dark life, always breaking the important things...
I only get angry at stupid people, and they have to be with themselves 24/7 so they already got theirs. - quijbe

RIP Kidneyman - 4/29/05
chbojorq
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:30 pm   Post subject: SP4 Solution... Reply with quote Back to top  

videobruce wrote:
I DON'T modify the orginal file. It just gets left there to keep the O/S happy eliminating the meed to modify all 3 files.
I add a additional file with a additional line in the boot.ini file pointing to that new file with the modded image.
This worked fine with sp3.
With sp4 it doesn't. The modded ntoskrnl.exe size increases dramatically where it didn't in sp3! I get a error message at boot stating ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt with any modded ntoskrnl file.

I then modded the image within the ntoskrnl file to remove the M$ crap and make it a grey image instead of the bright white screen that you need sunglasses to view and the resulting file was slightly smaller than the orginal. It did work.

It's just when I replace the image with something else it doesn't. Mind you all the images I use are from LWD's selections using the same procedure as before with Reasource Hacker.

my solution Cool

i originally had this problem too "corrupted file" or whatever. my initial thought was that sp4 checked the size of the file, but i didn't feel like faking the file size.
instead i noticed through Resouce Hacker in the ntoskrnl.exe file there is a section called Version Info.

-go to Version Info-1-1033

here i decided to edit the following two lines so that my file name matched:

VALUE "InternalName", "ntoskrnl.exe"
VALUE "OriginalFilename", "ntoskrnl.exe"

VALUE "InternalName", "kernel01.exe"
VALUE "OriginalFilename", "kernel01.exe"

then click "Compile Script" and Save as usual.

after adding the new file to the 3 locals, editing the boot.ini file, it worked Laughing i was suprised myself but i have since checked and it works!

Surprised also, remember new file name must be in 8.3 format!!!

as for me, i truly don't mind losing M$ screen forever, but i understand those who like to have the original around for nostalgia's sake.
Wink
happy trials...

-chad
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

The file size is the problem!! I don't understand in sp3 the size didn't change that much as far as I remembered, but in sp4 the size increases dramatically after you replace that first bitmap!!

I had a idea to reduce the size of the modded ntoskrnl by deleting those unused bitmaps to get as close to the orginal size as possible without deleting too many and it worked!
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

sully_51 wrote:
I've modified the boot.ini many times on SP4 and I never had any problems with it...hmm, strange...
What is the 'after' size of the file??
sully_51

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I really don't remember, its been a long time, I don't even run w2k anymore, I recently upgraded to xp pro... but I know it wasn't identical, and I don't think they were THAT different...

Trying to find my way around a dark life, always breaking the important things...
I only get angry at stupid people, and they have to be with themselves 24/7 so they already got theirs. - quijbe

RIP Kidneyman - 4/29/05
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Anyone else that had modded the ntoskrnl with sp4??
Mine grew from 1679kb to 18--kb!! WTF?
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Doesn't for me untill I reduce the size of the file!
Do you also put the modded file in those other 2 locations and do you have the orginal in place in the system 32 folder and th orginal line in the boot.ini file?
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Unless I'm doing something wrong with a program that I used before many times, when you change the bitmap in Resource Hacker, I choose 'replace bitmap' from the options to change that ugly bright white image from M$ to want I want. That IS the correct way isn't it??
Or would it be better to first delete the existing image, then add a new one?

It doesn't matter what you rename the new files to as long as they have the 8.3 format, correct?

The only thing I had to change to get them to work is the size. The boot.ini file is the same.
videobruce
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ntoskrn1.exe
timandlife
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

You can go to the system properties and go to the advanced area and select Startup and recovery button and tern off the failsafe that comes up in the startup somthing that i wonted to share with you guys. Rolling Eyes
raggaflo
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi I canīt download the "LWDKernel.exe" file, It seems that itīs gone. Would be nice if someone could mail it to me. My email: raggaflo1@web.de.

Thanks
dstg_ll
-=* NSFW *=-
-=* NSFW *=-

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

raggaflo wrote:
Hi I canīt download the "LWDKernel.exe" file, It seems that itīs gone. Would be nice if someone could mail it to me. My email: raggaflo1@web.de.

Thanks

Direct linkage Wink Smile
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/images/reviews/other/00025/lwdkernel.zip

View next topic
View previous topic