LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
feuerfreu
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Edit C:\BOOT.INI

My 0.02,
Demon
---===X===---
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That would bring me up to my next problem, for the hell of it I can't find my damn boot.ini, i'm not sure how to find it, dont really know how to take off hidden in my plain out C drive. My comp is well... diffrent.
Drayzen
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

are your logos stored in c:\winnt\system32\logos ?

are they named with the convention 1kern1.bmp, 2kern1.bmp, 3kern1.bmp, ..... "x"kern1.bmp ?

if you answer no to both those questions then the batch file would run forever as it checks for the existence of the file "x"kern1.bmp in c:\winnt\system32\logos and if it doesnt exist then it picks another random number ("x") and tries again!

for the batch file to work the path to reshacker.exe must be "c:\progra~1\reshack\reshac~1.exe" and you must rename ntoskrnl.exe to ntoschk.exe and add the line "/kernel=ntoschk" to the appropriate line in your boot.ini file

josphstalinator, I think what heidi is talking about is that the batch runs for a very long time as it churns out numbers hoping to hit on one of the few that you have used for your .bmp name.

I noticed this myself and ran the bat with the @echo off removed so i could see what was taking so long, it seems that it has to sit there for quite a while using up your CPU generating useless numbers.
I have not yet let it finish as I would imagine this process could take hours as if it is a true randome number generation it could be generating repeat numbers which will add to the time needed.

Personally, while I do like the simlicity of the script, I can't have this thing sitting there chewing up all of my CPU power.
I was wondering if it might be possible to use a VB script with some random generation code that can be limited to a smaller range?

I have heard that .vbs files can be run natively in Win2000, correct?
If so this would seem a much less recource hungry way to do it.

Now, I have no experience writing VB but I'm sure that a program top do this should be quite simple to work out if someone can please point me in the direction of some suitable reference material...

thanks, drayzen
blackjackel
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Both programs assume that you installed windows on the C partition, how can i make it so that it changes the boot.ini in my H partition?

I also tried the other cycling program and it does the same thing....
blackjackel
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

uuuum, yea it was a problem with Linux when i installed lilo, something screwd up and now it reads everything off H: to boot but my actual partition is in E:, and i know how to change the boot.ini manually, i just want it to randomize the bootscreen and both programs dont have it so you can set which drive has the boot.ini which really sux, anyone have an alternate idea?
blackjackel
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

now what?
mascotlee
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi,
Does LWDKernel.exe work for muti boot system?
BobTerwilliger
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

josphstalinator:
if you are looking for a SIMPLE way to randomize your boot screen then create a batch file witht he following lines:

This inspired a quick Python script that avoids constrictive filename conventions and puttering around waiting for a random number to hit. Tested with ActivePython 2.2.1. If you don't have Python, get it (http://www.python.org)! If this doesn't make sense, don't use it; I couldn't get lwdkernel.exe to work so I solved the problem this way.

This script uses ResHacker to modify a copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE using a randomly-chosen bitmap file from a directory of logos. Manual changes to BOOT.INI and duplication of NTOSKRNL.EXE are intentional - don't just run untrusted programs that futz with your kernel!

In excruciating detail:

<ol type=1>
[*]Back up BOOT.INI. In the original, duplicate the default boot config line, then add "/kernel=ntosklhk.exe" to the end. Make sure this is the first line under "[operating systems]". Now is a good time to set the "timeout" to 3.
Thus:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional w/logos" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosklhk.exe
[*]Go to C:\WINNT\system32 and make a copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE called NTOSKLHK.EXE.
[*]Add all your aptly-named logo files to C:\WINNT\system32\logos
[*]Stick the script below in your startup folder. If you don't want to see the DOS box pop up briefly on startup, use a shortcut instead and in its Properties, set Run to Minimized.
[*]If you need to, edit the script to modify the path to ResHacker, the name of the kernel file we're changing and your logo directory.
</ol id=1>

Here's the script:
Code: Select all
print "Replacing startup image (bitmap 1) in", kernelfile, "from", logopath
logos = os.listdir(logopath)
logos = filter(isbmp,logos) # bitmap files only!
logo = random.choice(logos)
logo = os.path.join(logopath,logo)
#reshacker.exe -modify oldresourcefile, newresourcefile, newlogo, bitmap, 1,
cmd = reshacker + " -modify " + kernelfile + ", " + kernelfile + ", " + logo + ", bitmap, 1, "
# unfortunately, no output from ResHacker if the command fails, so just use a simple system call
os.system(cmd)

Enjoy! And thanks again to josphstalinator for the idea. Don't expect code support (go learn Python!), but maybe you'll get lucky.
BobTerwilliger
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hmm, this post got messed up, probably when the forums site changed. Here's the code:

#!/usr/bin/python
import os, random, sys, time

# Modify these to suit your system
reshacker = r"C:\PROGRA~1\RESOUR~1\RESHAC~1.EXE"
kernelfile = r"C:\winnt\system32\NTOSKLHK.EXE"
logopath = r"C:\somepath\bootlogos"

def isbmp(thepath):
    "Returns 1 if the path ends with '.bmp' and 0 otherwise (identifies Windows Bitmap files)"
    if os.path.splitext(thepath)[1] == ".bmp":
        return 1
    return 0

if not os.path.exists(kernelfile):
    print "Kernel file to modify DOES NOT EXIST!"
    print "Copy NTOSKRNL.EXE to", kernelfile, "first."
    print "Exiting..."
    time.sleep(5)
    sys.exit(1)

print "Replacing startup image (bitmap 1) in", kernelfile, "from", logopath
logos = os.listdir(logopath)
logos = filter(isbmp,logos) # bitmap files only!
logo = random.choice(logos)
logo = os.path.join(logopath,logo)
#reshacker.exe -modify oldresourcefile, newresourcefile, newlogo, bitmap, 1,
cmd = reshacker + " -modify " + kernelfile + ", " + kernelfile + ", " + logo + ", bitmap, 1, "
# unfortunately, no output from ResHacker if the command fails, so just use a simple system call
os.system(cmd)
DDRDUDE
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ok now let me get this strait....i have to make a new kernel**.exe for each image i want in there, change it using the hacker thingy and then put in in system32, then use this program, change it to -randomizer etc etc and then my comp will boot random boot up screens?
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

DDRDUDE wrote:
ok now let me get this strait....i have to make a new kernel**.exe for each image i want in there, change it using the hacker thingy and then put in in system32, then use this program, change it to -randomizer etc etc and then my comp will boot random boot up screens?

Sounds correct to me.
DDRDUDE
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

well i had to screw with it till it broke....*sigh* ok it was all working fine i have 34 diffrent boots screens now. But it was set to 30 seconds select when boot up so i changed it to 3 and now its boots 2k normal again, also when i ever i made a new kernel it make another kernel called kernel**_orginal.exe, will this effect my system or is there a way i can et rid of them because they take up alot of room. I checked my boot.ini and its booting off kernel05_orginal.exe? im so confused please help
DDRDUDE
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

well i tinkered a bit...and it seems unless i set the boot.ini to kernel**.exe then it will randomly pick a kernel**_original.exe and then boot the normal 2k screen. grrrr...how annoying...i have the randomizer in the right place and set to the right options.
DDRDUDE
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ok now that ive screwed with it more i deleted all the kernal**_original.exe files, hoping that they will stay gone, and restarted my comp, now my only problem is the randomizer isnt doing anything at all....its just not...working
BlackMetalGod
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

well,
ive got a problem, i installed two win2k's. One for my family and one for me. So they can dump theirs! But now my question. my 2k is the second one
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="my 2k" /fastdetect
what do i have to edit, to get the program change this 2k, not the one on the first partition?
thx for help!!!!
Greetz bmg
quijbe
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

only edit this line:
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="my 2k" /fastdetect

simliar to this this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="my 2k" /fastdetect /kernel=newkrnl.exe

and do not edit the other line you have which is pry simliar to this
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Profesional" /fastdetect

you also need to make certain your modified boot file is in the %systemroot%\system32 folder on the second partition.

View next topic
View previous topic