LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

What does the shortcut point to... exactly. Copy and paste it here.

Is the -RANDOM inside or outside the quotes?
Sepulman
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi people

I don't know you guys and you don't know me, but I've created a programme that I think will meet most of your demands.
Why?
-LWDKern didn't work for me (boot.ini located in DUndecided)
-I figured it would go faster to write it myself than to ask for the code
So 3 days later and here we are!

One big drawback on the program !IT NEEDS RESOURCE HACKER TO WORK!
Yes, the program needs resource hacker to use it's command-line interface to change the bmp's in the system files;

Main features:
- "theme" support; create collections for both the msgina and ntoskernel files (more info, see help file)
- can create shortcut randomizer link itself (user has to select startup folder though)
- supports multiple win2k versions ("powered",pro,server,advanced server, data center sever)
- browse for msgina.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, images folder, reshacker, boot.ini folders
- set boot.ini menu text/timeout
- "intelligent" boot.ini modifier
- remove all changed settings

you can download the zip files here:
1. the the .exe files only (VB5 exe, 39 kb)
http://home.planetinternet.be/~sepuljo/W2kBM.zip
2. the full-bloated VB5 setup files (download if above versions missing libraries, +1 Mb)
http://home.planetinternet.be/~sepuljo/W2kBMfull.zip

Enjoy folks!
josphstalinator
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

after messing with the various programs linked to in this thread i must say..... they all suck!! (programers please dont take offense). having to create multiple kernels is tedious and unnecessary. the program by supelman is WAYYYY to buggy and i cant seem to get the randomizer to work. if you are looking for a SIMPLE way to randomize your boot screen then create a batch file witht he following lines:

@echo off
echo Randomizing boot logo for next boot.....
:loop
set a=C:\WINNT\system32\logos\
set b=%random%
set c=kern1.bmp
set d=%a%%b%%c%
if not exist %d% goto loop
c:\progra~1\reshack\reshac~1.exe -modify C:\WINNT\system32\ntoschk.exe, C:\WINNT\system32\ntoschk.exe, %d%, bitmap, 1,

place a shortcut to this batch file in your startup directory and your boot logo will be randomized for each reboot.

this "program" assumes your logos are stored in "C:\WINNT\system32\logos\" witht he convention 1kern1.bmp, 2kern1.bmp,..... etc. the %random% function gives a random number between 1 and 32000 (or something like that) so this batch file supports up to 32000 different boot logos.

the batch file also assumes the path to resource hacker is "c:\progra~1\reshack\reshac~1.exe" and that the kernel file being edited is named ntoschk.exe

the user must include /kernel=ntoschk.exe in her/her boot.ini file

this is the easiest way to randomize your boot logo and i hope you all have fun with this batch file. its very easy to manipulate to your liking!

Edited by - josphstalinator on 02/15/2002 17:38:04

Edited by - josphstalinator on 02/19/2002 02:39:31
Sepulman
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Whoa, when you don't get support on a free program within 2 hours, you're just not happy are you? lol!
First off, as for the bug you mentioned, please indicate which version you've downloaded, the shortcut code uses the windows scripting host, included in the "the full-bloated VB5 setup files (download if above versions missing libraries, +1 Mb)".
If all else fails, try adding a shortcut to your startup folder with as target;
"<type your program folder here>W2kBM.exe" Randomize

Anyhow I appreciate you trying it out and giving me some feedback, I'll try to find a way and add some code to the program to set file attributes automatically, although it's pretty funny to see you criticise my program on this, while your solution presented here doesn't even go near boot.ini (let alone MSGina.dll)

Oh yeah, you suck!(raeder please dont take offense)

Cheers!

Edited by - Sepulman on 02/15/2002 18:56:54
josphstalinator
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Whoa, when you don't get support on a free program within 2 hours, you're just not happy are you? lol!
First off, as for the bug you mentioned, please indicate which version you've downloaded, the shortcut code uses the windows scripting host, included in the "the full-bloated VB5 setup files (download if above versions missing libraries, +1 Mb)".
If all else fails, try adding a shortcut to your startup folder with as target;
"<type your program folder here>W2kBM.exe" Randomize

Anyhow I appreciate you trying it out and giving me some feedback, I'll try to find a way and add some code to the program to set file attributes automatically, although it's pretty funny to see you criticise my program on this, while your solution presented here doesn't even go near boot.ini (let alone MSGina.dll)

Oh yeah, you suck!(raeder please dont take offense)

Cheers!

Edited by - Sepulman on 02/15/2002 18:56:54

i was trying to provide you with some constructive critisism, thats all. i downloaded the full version of your program and the randomizer thingy didnt work. the reason why i didnt include changes to the msgina.dll file in the batch file i wrote is simply because i dont feel like doing it. i wrote that batch file for myself and thought id make it available for others because its a simple solution for people that want to randomly change their boot logo and nothing more. i make no claim that what i wrote will change their login screen. as for file protection...... i specifically tell the users to add the line to their boot.ini themselves, i make no claim that my 'program' does this for them so file protection issues are null. the only file that needs to be written to is ntoskrnl.exe, and i specifically tell the user to copy and rename it to ntoschk.exe. unless somebody has some serious problems w/ their system, file protection issues are non existent with the batch file i wrote.

but your program has some real potential. maybe another 3 days and it will be worthy of a first release. in the mean time people that wish to randomly change their boot logo can simply write a 9 line batch file (as i describe above), add 19 characters to their boot.ini, and rename their ntoskrnl.exe and be on their way....

Edited by - josphstalinator on 02/15/2002 21:45:49

Edited by - josphstalinator on 02/15/2002 21:47:20
heidi
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hello guys
I know nothing about programming, so am thrilled that you guys could write something like this for 'mere mortals'. I appreciate your skill.
The simplicity of Resource Hacker is just wonderful. I downloaded ver 3.3.4.75.

But I too am having problems with the randomiser (w2k prof sp2). The batch file posted by josphstalinator seems simple enough, but I must be missing something, although I've double checked everything (they always say that?). The only screen that displays is ntoschk.

When I run other batch files under W2K, the programs run and then disappear from screen, but this one doesn't. It sits at "Randomising boot logo for next boot..." with a flashing cursor on the next line.

What I'm trying to do is set up the startup screen to display a random 'quote of the day" and the solutions you offer seem the way to go. I don't want to display different boot options at startup, although I definitely use the default line in boot.ini while I'm playing around.

What am I doing wrong guys?

Thanks for your help and understanding
heidi
josphstalinator
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

are your logos stored in c:\winnt\system32\logos ?

are they named with the convention 1kern1.bmp, 2kern1.bmp, 3kern1.bmp, ..... "x"kern1.bmp ?

if you answer no to both those questions then the batch file would run forever as it checks for the existence of the file "x"kern1.bmp in c:\winnt\system32\logos and if it doesnt exist then it picks another random number ("x") and tries again!

for the batch file to work the path to reshacker.exe must be "c:\progra~1\reshack\reshac~1.exe" and you must rename ntoskrnl.exe to ntoschk.exe and add the line "/kernel=ntoschk" to the appropriate line in your boot.ini file
Sepulman
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hello people!

A new version of the Win2BM is ready.
This time the program no longer user windows scripting; the randomizer link is set through a key in the registry (HKLM).
New features are that you don't have to change your boot.ini or any other settings anymore, the program will chance and restore the settings itself.
Some other potential bugs have been eliminated.
However, because I must assume that the system files could be set to "hidden" in your explorer and because I use api's that copy their settings for the explorer settings, the file settings will be set to "show hidden files" and "show system files" for the brief period of time that the 'options' screen is displayed. The settings will be restored to whatever they where before upon closing of the 'options' screen, so don't panic.

Any bug reports or friendly extra feature requests would be appreciated.

Still you can download the exe-only version here:
http://home.planetinternet.be/~sepuljo/W2kBM.zip

and the full-bloated setup version here:
http://home.planetinternet.be/~sepuljo/W2kBMfull.zip

Cheers!

Edited by - Sepulman on 02/19/2002 10:13:05
quijbe
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

great , this works nicely Sepulman, thanks for your efforts.
iliava
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi

There is one thing I dont like about W2KBM app. Once you open it you have to fill all edit boxes and proceed clicking the OK button. This is an obligated step. Instead I wanted to exit the app without going further. But the Cancel button is disabled. This is bad. Too bad... for a good programer.
I had to use Task Manager in order to end the app.
Sepulman
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I beg to differ.
If I allow users to use the programme without full options filled in, the program will crash, and in the worse case mess up your system badly, and I mean -I can't get into my windows anymore because of your crappy program - badly.
warksdom
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

I beg to differ.
If I allow users to use the programme without full options filled in, the program will crash, and in the worse case mess up your system badly, and I mean -I can't get into my windows anymore because of your crappy program - badly.

...then how about giving the user a "cancel" button, and telling them that no changes will be made to any settings as a result? I wouldn't download/use such a program without such an option.

Good work though in producing the app though...look forward to using it!

warksdom
xfio
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ResHacker is a great Program! it rocks

[url]xfio.com[/url]
Kodiak
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

For some reason the only way I can change the boot logo is to go in on safe mode and replace the original with the modified copy, the same name, and replace it and also put it in 2 other places, dllcache and Driver cache and all done while in safe mode. Don't need to change boot.ini. I followed all direction to get random to work but no go. Chaged the file to Kernel and all that. Any ideas. Also it just keeps making copies and putting them in.
JG
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

nevermind I got it to work, very cool program.

View next topic
View previous topic