LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
COSBY
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

great article and a sweet ass app dogs!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

The LWD app is a great tool... however.. for what ever reason, on this WinKPro laptop, the only kernel my system is happy to boot from, is one named NTOSKRNL.EXE... simply ignores all efforts to point toa diff. named kernel... any ideas?

So I am using the LWD app as a quick preview tool only. Then rename my "changed" kernel of choice to NTOSKRNL.EXe and restart.. Smile
rahlquist
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I am having the same problem with my laptop. I have created kernel001.exe to kernel003.exe and run the lwd kernel tool. The boot.ini is properly changed and I am presented now with a boot menu which I never was before. However it always boots with the default screen.....ugh any ideas?
Brain
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 10:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

I am having the same problem with my laptop. I have created kernel001.exe to kernel003.exe and run the lwd kernel tool. The boot.ini is properly changed and I am presented now with a boot menu which I never was before. However it always boots with the default screen.....ugh any ideas?

K + E + R + N + E + L + 0 + 0 + 1 = nine characters

this needs to be in 8.3 format

rename them to kernelxx.exe substituting 01, 02, 03, etc where i put in the x's

that could be the only thing wrong with yours

Proud Member of the LWD Seti team

Searching the skies for signs of other intelligent life . .
(because Canines seem to be the only signs of it down here !)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
humanz
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey, i had a great idea this morning. I successfully created a custom msgina.dll file that matches one of my boot logos, and something occured to me. Wouldn't it be great if LWDKernel.exe could also choose and load a custom msgina.dll associated with the modified kernel? For example, suppose a use created a modified kernel called kernel2.exe. LWDKernel could then search the same System32 directory for a file called kernel2.dll, which would be the custom msgina.dll for that kernel. LWDKernel could also have a choice for using no custom msgina.dll file. This would allow users to create a Win2000 'theme' of a sort, with a modified boot logo, and modified logon images...
Then when the 'theme' is installed, LWDKernel could add/modify the registry entry defining the name of the modified msgina.dll.

The user reboots and chooses the modified kernel from the multiboot menu, and voila, the associated logon images are also loaded.

Wouldn't that be a great next version for LWDKernel? Then everyone could get started on 'themes' for Win2000 before WInXP takes over...
Gringle
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi, is there a way to make it so the LWD screen does not come up and ask if I want it to boot the diff kernels or if i want it to do the normal one?
dmikester1
Mutt
Mutt

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I am trying to use the random mode of the lwdkernel prog. I modified the boot.ini file and put a shortcut of lwdkernel with a "-random" at the end of the target. I also put 6 bitmaps called kernel1.exe - kernel6.exe. However I didn't use the res hacker to do anything. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that. When I reboot I get a list of choices just like what I wrote in the boot file, but when I pick one, it always picks the original file. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Mike

Mutt
Mutt

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

OK, thanks Demon. I read through that thing one more time and figured out how to change all of my bitmaps to files that will work. Then I remodified my boot file. And then I rebooted. I got a dos prompt asking which logo I wanted, I picked one and it still loaded the same old win2k logo. I also want to completely get rid of that dos prompt, so it automatically picks a random boot screen.
Thanks
Mike

Mutt
Mutt

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

OK, I figured out how to change the boot logo at startup. It allows me to pick from a list and I pick one. However, I'd like to have it pick a random one for me and not have that screen pop up at all. I'm pretty sure that lwdkernel app allows me to do it. I did everything it said to do, and it won't random pick the screen. Can someone please help me.
Thanks a lot
Mike

Mutt
Mutt

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Thanks Demon
Do you have a link for that rotator posted by that guy? What if I set the timeout limit to 0? Would that skip it?
Thanks
Mike

Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Once you whack your Kernel is XP, you can use this utility to randomly display them. The guy that developed this tested it on XP and didn't have any problems. The boot.ini / KERNEL switch worked for him. Anyone confirm?

I attempted the boot.ini /kernel switch for xp... didnt work for me... i had to bust into safe mode and overwrite the NTOSKRNL.exe... when I run this program... and try to preview it, there's nothing that shows up... Anyone recommend a way for xp?
oksrum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

When using the random feature, in my boot.ini, do I need to make a line for each kernel I wish it to have? For instance...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Penguin" /fastdetect /kernel=penguin.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Circle" /fastdetect /kernel=circle.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Colors" /fastdetect /kernel=colors.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Colors2" /fastdetect /kernel=colors2.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\="LWD Win2K Professional (FailSafe)" /fastdetect
...or will the program automatically overwrite and create it itself?
alanatswbell
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I have dl'd this and have a little question/problem. The " -random " switch does not seem to work. (At least not for Me.) When I remove the switch and run the exe I see all 26 of my kernels. I select one, put the switch back in and even after rebooting 10 times the logo never changes. Can anybody help? Thanks.
PLD
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

I have dl'd this and have a little question/problem. The " -random " switch does not seem to work. (At least not for Me.) When I remove the switch and run the exe I see all 26 of my kernels. I select one, put the switch back in and even after rebooting 10 times the logo never changes. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Alan

Pardon the obivious, Do you have a shortcut in your startup folder?

PLD
Cave Canem!

Sarc
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'm having the same problem alanatswbell is having. I have a shortcut to the program in my "Startup" folder, with the -random switch. Nothing happens, and my boot.ini hasn't changed at all.

Any ideas? dog10icon
Cool smiles.

View next topic
View previous topic