LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
DSLHunTa
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

repost

Edited by - DSLHunTa on 08/21/2001 17:27:04
ecb3
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

I must be missing a step, because everytime when I reboot it would tell me that c:\winnt\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted, please reinstall the file. I used ResHack and modified the ntoskrnl.exe
<snip>

By now, no doubt, you've noticed you posted that same note, with quotes, 3 times.
Frankly there is a user interface problem with the forum software. Post reply without a quote should be the preferred icon in a message. I'm assuming the extra two messages you managed to do on your own. Smile
Anyway, to answer your question, I have the same version of the OS that you do.
I too got the corrupt ntoskrnl.exe message on some, but not all, of my hacked kernals. I STRONGLY suspect the resource hacking utility reshacke.exe, has a bug in it. If I hack ntoskrnl.exe once then reload it, I seem to get good kernal executables. But when I tried generating multiple kernals from one ntoskrnl.exe file a few were corrupted. I noticed the developer pulled his utility last night with no notice!
http://www.rpi.net.au/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/
Maybe there is a problem eh! But I did manage to get modded kernals and I'm a happy camper now.
And of course you want to check your boot.ini file to make sure that your /kernal=xxxx option is spelled correctly and that xxxx.exe really is in your \winnt\system32 directory of course.
Good luck!
DSLHunTa
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

K Sorry about the postin with quote... err didn't figure it post the pix. As for posting 3 times, my internet connection must of hic-cuped. =/ I will try what u said. Thnx!
ecb3
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 2:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

It is fun to do. Here is my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Penguin" /fastdetect /kernel=penguin.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Circle" /fastdetect /kernel=circle.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Colors" /fastdetect /kernel=colors.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="LWD Win2K Colors2" /fastdetect /kernel=colors2.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\="LWD Win2K Professional (FailSafe)" /fastdetect

Gee, I wonder how many people will last through 58 pages of messages in the original thread to get to this simple mod.

Edited by - ecb3 on 08/21/2001 18:58:38
omnifarius
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I think you are having the same problem I had for a while. I eventually had to use a modified NTLDR file to bypass the ntoskrnl.exe check. I don't really need it anymore now that the LWDkernel program is working but if you want the patch, let me know. You might want to try reading the entire boot logo thread. I know its alot but you will find the answers you need. If you want my NTLDR file, just send me an email (omnifarius@yahoo.com).

-----
"Engage brain before mouth"

The liver is evil and must be punished!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
alexbratu
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

yeah so this site is a godsend! i'd kill myself if i had to look at the same logo everytime i started my pc. but whatabout windows xp? startup logo changing on xp is a little different. i resource edited mine and it has overlapping images. and i can't figure out how to change the colors of the animated bar or the border of it. also, why not add a replace msgina.dll to the lwdloader program or figure out a way to replace that and other dll's upon restart, that way more accets of the ui are changed if a user decides to do it that way, also by addign the feature to add dll's to replace, you can anticipate a user's future need to change a picture or say icon or text. this could go int oa complete theme type situation! my mind races at the thought! i believe windows xp themes are quite similar. damn you microsoft for code signing all your sh-it. so even after altering a file, it recognizes the change. damnit.
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Once you whack your Kernel is XP, you can use this utility to randomly display them. The guy that developed this tested it on XP and didn't have any problems. The boot.ini / KERNEL switch worked for him. Anyone confirm?
Gringle
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 1:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I cant find a boot.ini on my computer, and when i push change it does not do anything. Can some please help me, i can get the kernel1.exe in the drop down list with the logo in them but i cant get them to change. thanks

gringle
Gringle
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 2:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

nevermind I got it to work, very cool program.
Gibson99
Mutt
Mutt

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 5:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

For anyone who has upgraded to 3.2.9, if you modify a kernel you already prepared with 3.2.7 then it will work.

i'm using reshacker 3.2.9.62 (dowloaded from the .au server on sunday night/monday morning) and have successfully edited my ntoskrnl and made new ones like 10 times now to make different boot screens. i never had reshack before then, so it wasnt an upgrade (not that it should matter, since there's no 'install' right?)... i havent tried to delve into any of the other parts of nt5 yet, like msgina or any of that (tho i do plan on it as time permits), and the only time i had a problem was when i'd accidentally saved the bmp as 256 color instead of 16, and that just hosed the boot logo itself. it still booted fine. and just for reference, i'm running win2k pro sp2 & latest hotfixes. this is the first time i've used anything besides tweakui or regedit to change facets of win2k to my liking.

Decane
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

quick question is it possible to change it from loading bitmap 1 (200 pro) to bitmap 12 (200 advsvr).
PLD
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey Fido, when running LWDKernel.exe, does the Boot.ini have to be in the original state? I use a multiboot config. I assume the /kernel switch has to be added to the default Line?

The reason I asked is that after modifying the boot.ini to add a couple of test kernels, (which worked fine), I did not see what the program was going to modify?

PLD
Cave Canem!

Decane
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hey Fido would I be able to request an extra in that program. I'm running win2k advsvr. Would it be possible to add a commandline switch like -advsvr or -svr to allow you to change the bitmap previewed.

Win2kSvr runs of bitmap 4
Win2kAdvSvr runs of bitmap 12

I can't see which kernel i'm loading becasue the preview shows bitmap 1 for Win2kPro users.
PLD
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Hey Fido, when running LWDKernel.exe, does the Boot.ini have to be in the original state? I use a multiboot config. I assume the /kernel switch has to be added to the default Line?

The reason I asked is that after modifying the boot.ini to add a couple of test kernels, (which worked fine), I did not see what the program was going to modify?

Disregard, I just had to remove the lines I had added and went back to the original multi-boot config.

It probably would not be a bad idea to just list the different methods and a quick link or directions or how. Although the information is very thorough in the thread, it is very fragmented and many posts are just the same questions over and over.

PLD
Cave Canem!

Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:

Hey Fido would I be able to request an extra in that program. I'm running win2k advsvr. Would it be possible to add a commandline switch like -advsvr or -svr to allow you to change the bitmap previewed.

Win2kSvr runs of bitmap 4
Win2kAdvSvr runs of bitmap 12

I can't see which kernel i'm loading becasue the preview shows bitmap 1 for Win2kPro users.

Yes, there are a few other minor things we have to fix. Expect a new build early next week!

View next topic
View previous topic