LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Article Discussions
Fido
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:44 pm   Post subject: How To: Installing a secure BSD System Reply with quote Back to top  

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or feedback regarding this article. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have, and look forward to your feedback on this article!

Original Article - http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00029.asp
random

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'm astounded at Soups knowledge of the BSD and *nix OS.
A little Jealous too.

Thanks Smile

die("radio star");
}
Wired
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Skimmed it a bit, looks like a great read. Threw it up on the front page over at Addaboy.com. Only nitpick about it is that it's 1 LONG PAGE! I'd split it up. Your title bars are great places to separate it into pages.
smokinAMD
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Wired wrote:
Skimmed it a bit, looks like a great read. Threw it up on the front page over at Addaboy.com. Only nitpick about it is that it's 1 LONG PAGE! I'd split it up. Your title bars are great places to separate it into pages.

We here at LWD like our one page reviews. All the important stuff, no crap.
ThunderDawg
Alpha Dog
Alpha Dog

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

That is one he||uva fine piece of work.

soup4you2 wrote:
." Are you getting tired of my bad spelling yet, or have you drunk enough to where you just don’t care anymore?
ThunderDawg wrote:
(proofreader thinks, "Yes", even though spelling/grammar corrections were made, and opens another brewski)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:41 am   Post subject: Nice one, but... Reply with quote Back to top  

Very thorough and detailed writeup.

Bravo to Soup Exclamation

You guys could do away with the nonsensical Windows and Linux bashing though. Totally unneeded for an article like this Rolling Eyes
TheJackal
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

article wrote:
Don’t get me wrong, Linux is great and all, but about 75% of the packages I install are custom based and, well, RedHat sucks when it comes to that.

OMG!

Has the author never heard of Gentoo Linux??? C'mon, Linux distros are not limited do the big four (Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake, SuSE).....Rolling Eyes

http://www.gentoo.org/

Now Gentoo Linux is a real source based distro, if you start from a stage1 installation you even need to compile all the libraries and bootstrap the machine, with optimizations included!

If in *BSD installing say mySQL is as easy as :

cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql
make && make install

In Gentoo it's only :

emerge mysql

Very Happy

Plus, Gentoo supports mirrors for d/l source files and ports get updated daily (emerge sync to sync the portegé tree).
soup4you2
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

TheJackal wrote:

OMG!

Has the author never heard of Gentoo Linux??? C'mon, Linux distros are not limited do the big four (Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake, SuSE).....Rolling Eyes

I'm well aware of gentoo. I just am used to this OS and enjoy it's ease of use.

Quote:

If in *BSD installing say mySQL is as easy as :
cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql
make && make install

In Gentoo it's only :

emerge mysql

Well if your going with 1 line installs theres pkg_add -r mysql323-server

Plus where do you think gentoo got it's ideas from?

Quote:

Plus, Gentoo supports mirrors for d/l source files and ports get updated daily (emerge sync to sync the portegé tree).

Thats what cvs is about.. you cvsup your latest sources and ports tree

to see whats outdated you would run pkg_version -L = and it will display what packages are old then run portupgrade -ra to update them.. simple.

or if you want i've made a rather nice script on package updating and a ton of other fun stuff.. It's my training wheels for new users package Smile

http://bsdhound.com/~soup4you2/menu.sh

Glad you all enjoyed it..

Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

TheJackal:

We have at least 3 members here at LittleWhite(Black)Dog that are Gentooers, myself included.

And I'm very surprised to see a LWD article on OSNews, surprised in a good way. I've been going to OSNews long before coming to LWD, I dunno, I get this warm fuzzy feeling seeing the 2 sites relate to one another.

Hockeybird
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Great stuff Soup !

I may be doing an install in the next few days....I'll be looking at your article for guidence !

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fear_nothing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Quote:
You guys could do away with the nonsensical Windows and Linux bashing though. Totally unneeded for an article like this

If it came from Soup, I'm sure it's a great article. Since it's a BSD how-to it wouldn't be complete without a little Linux and winders bashing. It's all in good fun, so lighten up man Exclamation Twisted Evil

Remember when it comes to Information Security only the paranoid will survive.

Worried about printing this Post? Forest products are a renewable resource that when properly managed provide sustainable jobs and wages for the benefit of all citizens, without a detrimental effect to the environment. So Print 10 copies!
blunte
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:32 am   Post subject: You mention OpenBSD Reply with quote Back to top  

You state that it is more secure, but you don't (unless I missed it) state why I should use FreeBSD over OpenBSD.

If OpenBSD is more secure, and it's still BSD, why use anything else?

Not a troll, just a question.

Thanks.
soup4you2
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:44 am   Post subject: Re: You mention OpenBSD Reply with quote Back to top  

blunte wrote:
You state that it is more secure, but you don't (unless I missed it) state why I should use FreeBSD over OpenBSD.

If OpenBSD is more secure, and it's still BSD, why use anything else?

Not a troll, just a question.

Thanks.

OpenBSD is extremely Secure out of the box.. But with a little work FreeBSD can be just as secure as OpenBSD. OpenBSD is strongly recommended for those who have a Large amount of experience in *BSD's in my opinion.

The FreeBSD Community is there to help you out most of the times if your smart in the way you ask questions to them. Where as openbsd they expect you to know what your doing and dont care so much as to helping people out.

Both are great OS's and have their own strengths.. but like any OS it's a matter of personal preferance..

BTW BSD is not Linux so dont get them confused..

Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Printed out and going to be read when I have the time. When that may be is another issue...

squito

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

fear_nothing wrote:
If it came from Soup, I'm sure it's a great article.

I second that emotion - the dog knows his stuff - wWink SmileWink Smilef!

View next topic
View previous topic