LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index -> Operating Systems » OS - Linux
GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm   Post subject: Videos/GIFS/Choppy with KVM Switch Reply with quote Back to top  

Got a weird one, wanted to see if anybody has run into this before. I've gotten back into Linux lately... and I'm currently running Fedora 25 on my desktop. I have an old Belkin Flip USB KVM hooked up, and dual monitors. So one monitor straight into PC, one through the KVM. Using Cinnamon for the desktop.

Under Windows 7, everything works fine. Under Fedora, any kind of motion gets choppy at regular intervals. For instance, youtube videos will stutter briefly about every 10 seconds or so. Same thing with animated gifs.

Now the interesting part, this only happens on the monitor that is connected to the KVM. If I move the browser/video source over to the directly connected monitor, it's flawless.

Anybody know if there's some kind of tweak I can make somewhere that will prevent this? The monitor is being detected correctly, output of xrandr shows a Dell 19" 1440x900 at 60hz for both of them, just like it should.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Videos/GIFS/Choppy with KVM Switch Reply with quote Back to top  

GibsonSG wrote:
and I'm currently running Fedora 25 on my desktop

Yay Fedora!

Interestingly Fedora 25 is the first release that uses Wayland by default instead of X11. Have you tried under X11 instead?

When using the default Gnome desktop environment, you can normally choose "Gnome on Xorg" at the log in screen by clicking on the gear icon. I am not familiar with Cinnamon.

Alternatively, you can run individual applications on X11 during a Wayland session by setting an environment variable, for example:

Code: Select all

$ export GDK_BACKEND=x11
$ firefox

If running on X11 fixes it, then it may be a Wayland bug and you should probably report it at the usual place: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I "think" because I'm using a spin of Fedora that I'm still running X and not wayland. This is the one that I installed.

If I do a ps aux | grep wayland I get nothing, but ps aux | grep Xorg comes back with:

root 957 1.0 1.3 524772 104548 tty1 Ssl+ Feb28 42:33 /usr/libexec/Xorg -background none :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt1 -novtswitch

If I do a loginctl and get my session number and then do loginctl show-session # the type is X11.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Oh, interesting. Have you tried the inverse then, trying to run the problematic application under Wayland?

Code: Select all
$ export GDK_BACKEND=wayland

</Stab-In-The-Dark>

View next topic
View previous topic