LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm   Post subject: Homemade Blast Chiller... Reply with quote Back to top  

Since picking up a bunch of Slappy's 92mm fans a few years ago, I've been playing around with them in different projects. I've noticed that there are fans in a convection oven, fans fer a laptop cooler, and fans fer a blast chiller to aid in their thermal management. Wink Smile

I got to thinking that maybe I could use a few of these fans and a half dead PSU on a cheap mini fridge or beverage fridge and convert it into a homemade blast chiller. Big Smile

I haven't found anything on the Internet that someone has documented a conversion so I figured I would put my project on here. Wink Smile

Any thoughts?

anglachel
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Most freezers that have fans in them are "frost free" types.

Frost free freezers will cycle just above freezing (on the coil side) to keep the condensated water from freezing on the coil (which will impact efficiency because the air has to pass over the ice, not the coil...)

I don't know how a blast chiller normally works, but the coils freezing up in a homemade version seems like it's bound to be a concern unless you have unlimited access to dry air (perhaps in your part of texas you do.)

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Blast chillers are super expensive...like 4 figures just to super chill hot items quickly. I haven't had the opportunity to play with one yet as most places that would have them probably wouldn't let me anywhere close to their kitchen. Sad Smile

I'm not looking to freeze anything...just looking to build a inexpensive blast chiller using these 92mm computer fans, a half dead PSU, and a mini fridge (which is far from being frost free since the freezer section is basically open to the fridge. Wink Smile

I'm basically building this to chill my fresh fruit pies and desserts quickly so they will set in minutes instead of hours in a normal fridge. A commercial pie safe or display is out of my price range as well as a commercial blast chiller. Wink Smile

So the fans will be aimed at the bottom of each pie plate and a couple of fans in the freezer section (door removed) to circulate the cold air quicker. I'll install some digital thermometers to keep track of the temps of each level. I'll have my super accurate thermometer in the pie to see how quickly the temps reach their ideal temp. Wink Smile

I guess I should call this a blast cooler... Big Smile

View next topic
View previous topic