LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index -> Operating Systems » OS - Microsoft
GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 am   Post subject: Tricks to physically locate a computer Reply with quote Back to top  

Wanted to see if anybody might have a nifty way to accomplish this....

I have a Call Center with around 400 computers in it. We have certain models that either only have 4 GB of RAM in them, or are running 32-bit OS. We need to upgrade RAM and/or convert to 64-bit OS.

We've found what we could by roaming around and checking PC names (these are all Dell computers and the service tag is in the name). We're down to around 30 PCs and we're having trouble finding them.

I know the names, I know they're on the network as I can ping them... but we can't physically find them. I can connect with Powershell, PSExec, etc... is there any easy way we could do something such as make them play music, or display a message on the logon screen? I've found a way to make them play sounds when a user is logged in, but haven't had any luck when there isn't a user.

That is currently the issue, some of these haven't been logged in to in months, so even knowing the last logged on user isn't helping, because they may not have sat in that location in who knows when.

EDIT: I figured out a way to do this... maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works. I used the Dell Command and Configure Toolkit to create a little EXE that modifies the boot order in the BIOS to set the NIC as the first boot option. Copy it out to all the PCs in question, execute with PSExec and then force restart them all. Now we'll be able to just walk through and look for computers sitting on our PXE splash screen.

Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I was going to suggest a script that just rebooted them over and over and then either walk for the floor looking for the machine that is rebooting and/or wait for a service call.

(probably worked better in the olden days when computers beeped when they booted up)

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

anglachel wrote:
(probably worked better in the olden days when computers beeped when they booted up)

Why not just play a sound on the remote lost box?

marco.mp3

JustAnEngineer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hopefully, no-one has dry-walled in the room where the lost PCs are located.

Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

CMTG wrote:
anglachel wrote:

Why not just play a sound on the remote lost box?

marco.mp3

Back when I last had to do this the machines we were working with were positioned around a library and as such none of them had sound cards and/or speakers. but they'd beep on startup.

there were ways to trigger the beep without rebooting the computer also, but I think something stopped us from doing that...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
Extreme
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Sounds you found a solution, a few others that jump to mind are:
Run a remote command to open the CD Tray if one is installed:
http://superuser.com/questions/972447/how-can-i-eject-a-cd-via-the-cmd

OR

Depending on your networking skills and equipment, you can tie the MAC Address to the port its connected to, and hopefully you have documentation in place that shows where these ports are in your environment.

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Extreme wrote:
Sounds you found a solution, a few others that jump to mind are:
Run a remote command to open the CD Tray if one is installed:
http://superuser.com/questions/972447/how-can-i-eject-a-cd-via-the-cmd

OR

Depending on your networking skills and equipment, you can tie the MAC Address to the port its connected to, and hopefully you have documentation in place that shows where these ports are in your environment.

Unfortunately, no CD drives. And no documentation on which jacks go to which ports on the switches. We did briefly contemplate just shutting the ports off and waiting to see who complained though. Twisted Evil

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

GibsonSG wrote:
We did briefly contemplate just shutting the ports off and waiting to see who complained though. Twisted Evil

If your environment is anything like mine, they would just move to a new workstation and the "broken" PC would just go unreported Rolling Eyes

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Tricks to physically locate a computer Reply with quote Back to top  

GibsonSG wrote:
Copy it out to all the PCs in question, execute with PSExec and then force restart them all

BTW, you might want to check out PDQ Inventory and/or PDQ Deploy...I've been working with it for the last few months to automate most of our deployments/updates and love it!

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Extreme wrote:
GibsonSG wrote:
We did briefly contemplate just shutting the ports off and waiting to see who complained though. Twisted Evil

If your environment is anything like mine, they would just move to a new workstation and the "broken" PC would just go unreported Rolling Eyes

This is too true and probably exactly what would have happened. Laughing

Extreme wrote:
BTW, you might want to check out PDQ Inventory and/or PDQ Deploy...I've been working with it for the last few months to automate most of our deployments/updates and love it!

We use SCCM for that, this was just kind of an on the fly situation that we had to figure out quickly.

View next topic
View previous topic