LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Computer Hardware
fear_nothing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:53 am   Post subject: Desktop SSD Recommendation needed Reply with quote Back to top  

It's time to breath some fresh air into an older desktop system. This system will get a fresh OS install and a faster drive. This isn't a gaming system, it used primarily to browse the internets and play music. That's it.

Would like some recomendations on a smaller SSD

Requirements:

1. 3.5 " this isn't a hard req, 2.5 will suffice
2. Size no larger than 500 GB
3. Price no more than 100 USD

Looked around Amazon and *gulp* Best Buy yesterday, but haven't bought a bare drive in a while Wink

Note: A new system isn't required at this time

Remember when it comes to Information Security only the paranoid will survive.

Worried about printing this Post? Forest products are a renewable resource that when properly managed provide sustainable jobs and wages for the benefit of all citizens, without a detrimental effect to the environment. So Print 10 copies!
blahpony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I've had good luck with Kingston drives. I have one in my HTPC that's being going for a few years at least.

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I just did the same thing to my 10 year old system. Not sure if all manufacturers are the same, but I'm running an Asus M3A motherboard, and it had specific requirements on what SSDs could be used with it.

I ended up going with a Crucial that was on the approved list, been running for about 3 months now.

It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/MODEL-Crucial-2-5-Inch-Internal-CT256MX100SSD1/dp/B00KFAGCWK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

$139 0.50 TB Crucial MX200
That drive uses MLC flash.

TLC flash drives are cheaper, but potentially less reliable.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Samsung 840/850 Pro or Intel S3500's (The intel's will be over the budget by a few bucks)

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Samsung is currently in the doghouse for the nasty performance issues with their 840 and 840 Evo drives, which they handled poorly.
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96590

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Yikes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

View next topic
View previous topic