LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index -> Mobile Applications » Apple iPhone/iPad/iTouch
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Well...the SpinClik is slowly falling apart. Mainly, it's because of the material and engineering design.

The arms that hold the SpinClik spring tension broke last night. Tension over time with the ABS they used isn't a good combination. Looks like I'll engineer a new method fer that. Big Smile

The release tab broke about 4 months ago. I've already engineered a new retrofit method using a binder clip and fabricated a new clip cleat from some aluminum stock. It needs some more refinement but it should replace what they have quite easily. Wink Smile

Slymer
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

if redneckin it doesn't help... BAM! it and be done!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Found a replacement cleat and quick release combo on Amazon fer just over $7 shipped. The center will have to be drilled out to match the original part. Big Smile
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYXZGS

I ordered 2 of these puppies. Gonna try to make my setup fer an iPad 2/3/4 with a Griffin Reveal cover. Wink Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I've almost removed all the original SpinClik parts from my mobile setup. The only thing left is the 2 spacers that are mounted to the quick release. They will be going away after I fab up my own spacers. Big Smile

Got a lot of positive comments when I was in Jacksonville, FL. Most of them wanted one on the spot. Of course they all said I should patent my setup but I think the only thing I can really patent on this setup is my slip joint as the rest is already patented by Panavise. Sad Smile

Just replaced the original center bolt with a stainless steel bolt and Nylock nut. I've mounted the quick release directly to the Griffin case without the original nylon spacer washer. The setup seems much more stable now. Big Smile

Since replacing the broken quick release, I've cut the binder clip down so it fits and supports the release mechanism a little bit better. It takes a little bit of effort to release the iPad from the mount now but hopefully it will be able to endure the added stress from my setup. Wink SmileBig Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

The Griffin Reveal protective case I've been using hasn't been holding up very well at all. Sad Smile

I've discovered the Rokform Roklock V3 case fer the iPad 2/3/4 and ordered one off of eBay fer $35 shipped. Rokform is discounting their case down to $39.99. Wink Smile
http://www.rokform.com/roklock-v3-ipad-case/

I just got my case in this afternoon and I've already taken the mount apart to see how it was made and what I can do to mount it into the Panavise setup. Looks like all it will take to adapt it is a 1/4" hole to pass the bolt through and secure it on the Panavise mount clip. I will still be able to use the Roklock stand in the future if I need to go with a minimal footprint. Basically, I've mounted their mount on top of the Panavise mount so I can use either system. As far as the SpinClik is concerned...it's pretty much gone from my setup now. Wink Smile

Fer now, I believe I have the only Roklock iPad setup that can easily rotate on a stand or in the car. I'll need to send the folks at Rokform a video or piccies of my setup to see what they say. Big Smile

anglachel
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I've got one from RAM on my motorcycle for my cell phone...

Something like this:
http://www.mountmymonitor.com/RAM_Handlebar_Mount_for_your_iPad_or_Tablet_p/ram-b-149z-un8.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbciAm-fFfHKVPgARAmSgoxxTRleuty8SATO90PQhWtkaAlIY8P8HAQ

Obviously you can mix and match the mounting brackets, use it with a sucktion cup style mount or a flat bracket with holes drilled in it, lots of mounting options on the ram website. Figure it if holds my phone in place at 75 mph on the highway on a motorcycle should be able to keep a tablet in place in the back of a car.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Death to Shuttleworth!
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Looks like the closest thing out there to what I've put together with the desktop stand is the Joy Factory MagConnect desktop system. Wink Smile

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/MMA211#MMA111

The going price on Amazon fer the AirPad setup is about $78 plus tax and free shipping. MSRP is about $100. Big Smile

NewEgg has the iPad 2/3/4 desktop setup fer about $86 shipped. Wink Smile
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834970315

By comparison, I feel the setup I've put together (RokLock/Panavise) offers more than the Joy Factory MagConnect does. The RokLock provides better protection fer the iPad compared to the Joy Factory case although Joy Factory's case allows you to use the Apple SmartCover while the RokLock does not. The RokLock system combined with the Panavise connector allows me to quickly disconnect the iPad from the stand with a twist (RokLock) or lifting the locking tab on the Panavise connector while the MagConnect requires you to loosen the screw to disconnect their setup. Wink Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Got an email reply to my quest fer more parts. Panavise has discontinued the SpinClik line. Sad Smile

Guess I'll have to make my own parts up now. Evil SmileWink Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

While I was visiting in a hospital in Lincoln, NE...someone was curious about my setup that EEp was using while he was sitting on a chair. He offered to buy mine but I politely declined. I pointed him here to the forums and maybe he'll join the forums or even make his own from my design. Wink Smile

I guess since I have a spare RokLock case and enough Panavise parts to make another...I should build a spare one. I think I will try to eliminate the Panavise quick release from this build as it would leave the issues of the Panavise quick release behind. Big Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I finally built an adapter that eliminates the Panavise tab quick release from the design. Built another stand with that adapter and sold it to a friend in Nebraska. He is a very happy camper! Big Smile

The corners on the base need to be rounded off but this is as good as it's gonna git fer now. Wink Smile

I'll probably build one more and be done with this design. Sad Smile

View next topic
View previous topic