LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index -> Hobbies » Cookery
fear_nothing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Looks sweet BAM

Any experience with an Ugly Drum Smoker?

IE this

Remember when it comes to Information Security only the paranoid will survive.

Worried about printing this Post? Forest products are a renewable resource that when properly managed provide sustainable jobs and wages for the benefit of all citizens, without a detrimental effect to the environment. So Print 10 copies!
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

fear_nothing wrote:
Looks sweet BAM

Any experience with an Ugly Drum Smoker?

IE this

Yes...they cook a lot of food fer such a simple cooker. The key is making sure you burn out the drum really well before you try to build yer own UDS. Wink Smile

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Did some more modding today... Wink Smile

Installed a handle fer the upper vent. I'll eventually go with a wood handle later on down the road... Wink Smile

Installed a handle fer the lower vent. This will still need to be cut down so I can add a wooden handle on it, too! Big Smile

Stainless steel bolts and nuts installed fer the grate to sit on...

All nice and pretty... Tongue Smile

I still need to drill some temp probe holes so I don't have to run the temp probe from the top. This will allow me to monitor the temp status of the meat and not lose too much control over the heat and smoke. Wink Smile

I'm also looking to install a sealing gasket around the top of the smoker pot so there's a good seal between the lid and the pot and keep the heat and smoke where it belongs. Wink Smile

Last edited by BamZipPow on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
JustAnEngineer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Electric is less expensive to operate.
http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810-7080-8-Gourmet-Electric-Smoker/dp/B0009WG6RA/

The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Electric is less expensive to operate.
http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810-7080-8-Gourmet-Electric-Smoker/dp/B0009WG6RA/

I've looked at the Brinkman series and just don't find them as versatile as the Weber Smokey Joe setup. I can go straight to grilling after I take the smoker pot off the Weber. I don't think the Brinkman can easily do that... Wink Smile

Again...the idea of this thread was to convert a Weber Smokey Joe (that you already have) into an inexpensive smoker while still allowing you to grill on the Smokey Joe when you need/want to. I think this tamale pot mod will easily allow you to do that... Big Smile

JustAnEngineer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I used to have the charcoal version of the Brinkmann. The bottom could be used as a grill. The thing was, it used 7 lbs of charcoal every time that I smoked something.

The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

It's been over a year and a half and I just revamped my smoker again. It's been doing a great job all this time! Big Smile

I built a new one from all the suggestions on the Weber forum and decided to revamp my original one. I went with 3 bolts from 4 bolts as the grate won't have to worry about wobbling.

I've removed the bottom support strap fer the diffuser. I now have the nickel plated grill on the bottom lip and I just lay the diffuser on that when I need a diffuser. Wink Smile

I've also cut a groove into the pot lip so I don't have to worry about the thermometer probe wire gitting pinched by the lid. Big Smile

The amount of charcoal I'm using just fer smoke roasting a spatchcocked chicken (~5lbs) is around 12-20 briquets and a few chips of wood fer smoke. Tongue Smile

A new method of stacked smoking is to attach the tamale pot lid to the bottom of another pot, cut out an opening on the lid to match the bottom, and stack it on top of the existing pot so you can have 4 layers of product smoking away. Wink Smile

Results! Wink Smile

View next topic
View previous topic