LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Code Warriors
GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 pm   Post subject: Copy AD group memberships Reply with quote Back to top  

Question for the coding folks, or maybe someone has a tool that does this. We use SCCM for pushing software out to PCs in my company. We add the computer accounts to groups in AD, and this determines what software gets installed to them.

Our previous SCCM admin was super awesome, and wrote a nifty tool we could use for doing PC replacements during the year. You execute it, it prompts for source PC name and destination PC name and then pulls a list of groups that the source PC is a member of and shows them to you. You could then add/remove groups from the list and get it how you wanted, and then proceed and it would add the destination PC to all of those groups... and even had an option to remove the source PC from the groups as a final step.

He went on to bigger and better things, and our new SCCM admin is not so super awesome. This tool we had runs on Windows XP, but not Windows 7, and it doesn't really give an error message or anything.... just nothing at all happens after you launch it.... and neither the new admin, nor anyone else, can seem to figure out what the problem is.

So is there a powershell, vb script, existing tool, anything at all that anyone knows of that would perform this functionality in the same way?

Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Won't run in XP Mode?

Otherwise I would take a look at two Joeware free tools. Adfind and Admod.
http://www.joeware.net/freetools/
Extreme
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Copy AD group memberships Reply with quote Back to top  

What is the existing tool written in, if its a compiled app maybe it can be compiled.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

You don't have the source code for the tool he wrote? (Under most employment contracts I've experienced, if he wrote it on company time, the copyright of the source belongs to the company.)

GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 am   Post subject: Re: Copy AD group memberships Reply with quote Back to top  

Extreme wrote:
What is the existing tool written in, if its a compiled app maybe it can be compiled.

I'm pretty sure it is a compiled app, but I have no idea what it was written in. It's customized and has our company logo embedded, and knows our AD structure (We have Alpha, Beta, and Archive groups that software installations get moved to during their life cycle. We, as the regional admin users don't have permissions to do anything with these groups as far as adding/removing members, we can only modify the production groups, and this tool knows that and will tell you which ones it won't change).

CMTG wrote:
You don't have the source code for the tool he wrote? (Under most employment contracts I've experienced, if he wrote it on company time, the copyright of the source belongs to the company.)

Nobody can find it, it was likely on the guy's own PC instead of on a fileserver like it should have been... so there are no backups of it or anything.

T wrote:
Try running as administrator, or running in compatibility mode. At a pinch, use an XM VM.

Yeah, it has to be run as admin... and it's hard coded to only run from the server share where it is... if I move it to my local PC and try and run it, I get a message that it must be executed from the original location. Tried every compatibility mode setting and nothing works.

I have a computer with XP on it, that is basically hanging around just for this purpose. But since XP is end of life and all, upper management is wanting all XP machines out of the environment. (Including virtuals).

It may not be an issue that much longer, we just upgraded to SCCM 2012 and they are wanting to implement user affinity so that software follows user accounts instead of PC names. But, that likely won't happen before we do PC replacements in the next couple of months. If it comes down to it, I have a powershell script that will just straight copy memberships between two PCs.

View next topic
View previous topic