LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index -> Networking » Mobile Networking
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:43 am   Post subject: The sad state of 3G Reply with quote Back to top  

O2 in the UK... 630ms pings, 760k download on a good day, 230k upload.

760k wouldn't be too bad, but a 500mb/month download cap for your 30 a month is pretty silly. What's the point of bothering with a smart phone if you can't use it?

Oh yeah, right. O2 wants us to use the wireless LAN more - we get "free" wireless connectivity wherever we can find an O2 hotspot. Whoopie. That really helps.

And the trouble is, you'd choose the best provider, if there were a best provider. O2 isn't exclusive with anything anymore, but nobody else seems to have a better deal.

Data roaming isn't even an option either, at 10 for each 10mb, and a 50mb cap on that anyway.

I know, I'm grousing. But I do want to know if it's any better anywhere else.

Quetzalcoatl
LWD Staff
LWD Staff

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

It's better and worse here. If I go with the worst provider I can get a 6gb data plant for like $10.00 a month. But my service will be useless because the network sucks. I get the same 500mb deal through ma Bell with similar speeds for (assuming dollar parity) the same as you. I have access to wireless almost everywhere I go. The first month I had my Iphone I used 9mb of my data plan.

I'm using more data now because Ms commuter is on the road so much and I tend to get out of the house more if there's no one here. The best (sadly) part about my data plan is that if I exceed my 500 MB I start drawing from hers (assuming she has data left).

Data roaming for us is unbelievably expensive. If I pick up a US tower (which happens this close to New York) its $54.00 per meg. a good friend of mine had a $2000 dollar first Iphone bill because he worked in the Niagara gorge and was data roaming 5 days a week.

Olive
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Not sure what my UL speed is, but on t-mobile in chicago i'm consistently in the mid to high 900kbps for DL. Just testing now is 984kbps. Pings are almost consistently 80ms.

$30 a month for unlimited data, which i usually use ~800MB.

The Olive Estate
--wonko "I really dont know what to say exept the purpose of a lake is not to kill someone."
--maple_shaft "I AM AN ATTENTION WHORE!!!!! "
--OhioArt2 "TOMaxwell did a pregnant zebra"
hummer010

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

My Provider is Hellus, err, Telus.

Download: 960 kbps
Upload: 270 kpbs
Ping: 240 ms

I pay $25 for the data plan which is limited to 500MB. That $25 doesn't include any phone service - that's another $25. The fees for going over are semi-reasonable at $0.05 / MB. The amazing thing is that tethering is included, it is not an extra charge. Of course with a 500MB limit, I don't do a lot of tethering with it.

For an extra $15 I can upgrade to 1GB of data, I just don`t use enough data to warrant it.

Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I pay 20pcm to Orange UK for 200 minutes of voice calls, unlimited text messages and "unlimited" data (which I believe is really 500mb but I generally don't use more than 250-300mb per month).

EdRex, is bandwidth more contended in London? The SpeedTest.net Android app, which I am running from where I am sitting at the Bumfuckshire office, tells me I get ~1900kbps down and ~350kbps up with a latency of ~175ms.

I quite like that my bandwidth is skewed so much towards download as I never upload anything from my phone. Can anyone tell me if this is a feature of the phone or the provider?

My phone is a Motorola Milestone/Droid.

EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I would assume that London is far more contended than anywhere else in the UK, although I haven't experienced any particularly better bandwidth in remoter parts of the UK (Oxford, for instance). Now, this could be down to O2, who probably took the brunt of bandwidth demand by virtue of being the sole supplier of iPhones for 2 years. But that said, they also took 35 a month from punters for those millions of phones, so they could have tried investing in some infrastructure, but it doesn't seem likely.

View next topic
View previous topic