LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
yhdjv
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 am   Post subject: Stoopid grafx card Reply with quote Back to top  

Stoopid grafx card evil

Woke up this morning and the fan on the grafx card was going at 100% which is really loud. The cards temp was like 54C which is way low, so I start the grafx card fan control program - then the fan shuts off all together!

WtF!?!

I watch the card temp skyrocket to 112C then it shuts off! D'oh!

Reboot, hope it is ok! Reboots fine, grafx card is ok (phew!) but I lost a HUGE Primegrid wu, that when I was done would have taken something like 410 hours to finish. Im sure it would have been worth mega credits Sad

Luckily I didnt loose the other huge wu.

And Id like to say my team mate, the founder of the team - sucks at primegrid. The person who has been running PG for like over two years got passed by someone (*me* that has only run PG for 15 days Razz

Not sure wth was up with the grafx card but I hope it doesnt happen again.

Oh, now I remember why I stopped running Seti - its been down longer than its been up since I came back to seti. Think I will stray from Seti and stick with folding and primegrid.

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

They're down a lot but I still get wu's. I can upload during the week sometimes but can only download on weekends. So what's Prime grid? Maybe I'll give it a shot too.

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

WEll, three years ago I got fed up with seti because their servers just got too unpredictable as to their up times, they started to be down more than up so I came over here.

I would have thought that after 3 years they would have had their act together but it seems lately at least that they are worse now.

This problem with the gpu wu's that has been going on now for 12 hours is a very rare event to last this long - still annoying tho. I should be at around 9K points right now - but I have 126! Twisted Evil

Not sure I get the PrimeGrid project other than they are looking for huge ass prime numbers?? Maybe Thunderdawg could enlighten us lol!

Ive detached from seti - again.

CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

yhdjv wrote:
WEll, three years ago I got fed up with seti because their servers just got too unpredictable as to their up times, they started to be down more than up so I came over here.

I would have thought that after 3 years they would have had their act together but it seems lately at least that they are worse now.

This problem with the gpu wu's that has been going on now for 12 hours is a very rare event to last this long - still annoying tho. I should be at around 9K points right now - but I have 126! Twisted Evil

Not sure I get the PrimeGrid project other than they are looking for huge ass prime numbers?? Maybe Thunderdawg could enlighten us lol!

Ive detached from seti - again.

Finding large primes is useful for cryptographical research, and probably other fields of mathematics too.

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Seti's down on purpose during the week. Not sure why but I read the reason months ago in their forum. That's ok, I'll find ET for us...pffft Very Happy

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Yeh I really didnt look into it closely to be honest. I just wanted to try it out at first but with seti being snafu/fubar now Im going full primegrid/folding instead of seti/PG/folding.

Plus I passed Thunder in only like two weeks Laughing

BMaytum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

widouxmaker wrote:
Seti's down on purpose during the week. Not sure why but I read the reason months ago in their forum. That's ok, I'll find ET for us...pffft Very Happy

Home page at Seti @ Home today sez:
"Projects are down due to a database crash.
The BOINC database crashed. The projects are down until the recovery is complete. 21 Oct 2010 16:08:55 UTC "

There's more details if yer interested in the S@H forums (Tech News and Number Crunching).

Yeah S@H's downtime lately has been > uptime Sad Nevertheless I'm sticking with S@H for now, at least until I reach ~1.9M credits and 12th spot on our Team - atm I'm in 13th spot (aaacccckkkk!) with aprox 1.2M credits.

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Got me. They were limiting downloads to weekends a while back. I'm sure they're still breaking down too.

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Ive given up on Seti - again. This past month they've been down more often than they've been up. I would have thought after 3 years they would have been more reliable. guess not.

This past month of crashes and such is the reason why I gave up and went to folding 3 years ago.

BMaytum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:52 am   Post subject: Re: Stoopid grafx card Reply with quote Back to top  

yhdjv wrote:
Stoopid grafx card evil

Woke up this morning and the fan on the grafx card was going at 100% which is really loud. The cards temp was like 54C which is way low, so I start the grafx card fan control program - then the fan shuts off all together!

WtF!?!

I watch the card temp skyrocket to 112C then it shuts off! D'oh!

Reboot, hope it is ok! Reboots fine, grafx card is ok (phew!) but I lost a HUGE Primegrid wu, ... Sad

Not sure wth was up with the grafx card but I hope it doesnt happen again.

@ yhdjv (Derek K):
You didn't say what graphics card or driver version you're using, but Be Advised that several (3? 4?) months ago nVidia released a (WHQL-certified !) driver set that disabled (or impaired) the graphics card fan! Sorry I don't recall the specific driver version but if yers is old nVidia I recommend updating driver set. (If interested, you can check nVidia's forums - at that time there was a HUGE Uproar about the offending driver set, many graphics cards got fried, and there were threats of class-action lawsuit(s) - dunno whether nVidia replaced cooked cards or not, fortunately I had skipped the offending driver version).

yhdjv
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Thanks for that info.

Very interesting...Im going to have to search the nVidia forums for sure even just to read up on the subject as Ive never heard of anything like that.

Im using the evga geoforce GTX480 gpu but Im not using an old set of drivers - but I should check on that. Using driver set 258.49 specifically to allow me to fold. I dont recall bothering using the driers from the cd as I would have had to update them to the drivers I have in now but i not 100% sure.

Now I bought the card around that time frame but didnt get to install it until a month or so ago so I could have a problem card - who knows. I will have to check those forums.

Thanks for the info.

View next topic
View previous topic