LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
yhdjv
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:13 am   Post subject: Crunchin on too many cores Reply with quote Back to top  

Ok, my apologies if this is a stupid question but it seems Boinc (Seti) wants to crunch on ALL 6 cores even though - I think - Ive changed my settings to only crunch on ONE core of a multicore processor.

Crunching on all cores screws up my folding. Especially when ALL cores are at 100%, it stops my GPU from folding for a bit. Instead of taking 61 mins a wu, it takes almost 90 mins now.

Ive set things for boinc/seti to only use 1 core, 20% of cpu, 17% of the cores (1 of the 6 cores), NOT to use the gpu...what the heck else do I need to make it ONLY use the one core? I have on this machine 6 cores - and I get 6 clients crunching at a time - I want to make it do ONE at a time, finish it, move onto the next one if I have another one...so on so forth...

Basically at this time I will have to suspend 5 of the 6 clients crunching until the one is done, then resume the next one. Not feasible if Im not around.

thriftyjack
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

you aren't gonna catch onefast1 like that Very Happy

Fold for the cures

*Thanks to Jaymac for folding sig!
yhdjv
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

well its hard to have 4 clients folding along with the gpu folding, then have all six cores crunching seti at the same time.

I seem to go through the seti wu's pretty fast (imo) but I need it to only crunch one at a time. Otherwise it will get in the way of folding on the gpu which is the best folder on the system.

Id rather not cut down on the other clients that are folding to cruch seti on if I can avoid that.

ThunderDawg
Alpha Dog
Alpha Dog

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I wish I had this problem ^_^

On Multi Processor Systems, use at most 16.67% of the Processors.
17% Bleeds into another core.

If you have a program like Process Explorer, you can set Affinity to a specific CPU, but I'm not sure if that is a permanent change, or good-til-reboot.

Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Ok thanks for that. I figured 17% would be ok but yeah I see your point on that. I'll check into the Process Explorer too, see if that helps.

View next topic
View previous topic