LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
BMaytum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:27 am   Post subject: Optimized SETI Client Reply with quote Back to top  

Hi all:

I am a member of Little White Dog SETI team, currently I'm 39th overall Team rank. I see many Team members have got PCs working hard on SETI - that's great!

BUT I'm guessing by high CPU time per workunit that most are using the standard SETI analysis client, not an "optimized" client. I'm writing to recommend you switch to an optimized SETI client program that I believe will greatly improve (2x or more) your workunit completion rate; optimized client will cut CPU time by aprox 1/2. There's no need to change your BOINC Manager program when you use optimized client. I use, and highly recommend, Alex Kan's v8 Optimized client for Windows. Look at my much-lower CPU times (compare to yours) here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?userid=7782289

AK's v8 Optimized client is the most widely used optimized client, and is easy to install. You can get it for Windows and Linux here:
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/

I rhink you'll see dramatically higher throughput with AK's V8 client. You can send me private messages (PM) at the SETI@home website, or post replies in this thread.

Happy crunching!
- BMaytum
BMaytum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 am   Post subject: Optimized SET client Reply with quote Back to top  

T wrote:
Does Berkeley approve the use of third-party clients?

Berkeley SETI/Boinc website does have this page that lists sources for other SETI & Boinc clients and applications. including the KWSN site I linked that hosts Alex Kan's v8 optimized SETI client:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/DownloadOther

So YES they do allow participants to use 3rd-party clients, although Berkeley does not officially "approve" or endorse any of them.

T wrote:
Surely if all I wanted to do was ramp up my stats artificially, I could write a program to generate the desired output in a fraction of the time.

Hmmmmm... if you say so, I dunno. Methinks the "desired output" would need to be valid results from analyzing SETI radiotelescope data, and Berkeley does compare results from two or more participants to 'validate' them.

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Where do I find my team ranking?

Stray Dog

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

widouxmaker wrote:
Where do I find my team ranking?

If you are a member of thw LittleWhiteDog Seti-at-Home Team, your ranking on the team is herehttp://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_members.php?teamid=30210&sort_by=total_credit. That list view is sorted by total LWD member credit on the team (highest to lowest).

Alternatively (regardless what Team you belong to), launch Boinc Manager, on the Projects tab click Your Account button then on the webpage that opens click Account near the top (blue band, orange lettering) to see your Account details, then click your Team name, and browse for your name (clicking "Next 20" near bottom left).

Regarding setting up current Optimized Seti applications, there's a straightforward method at the top of this thread:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=54801

widouxmaker
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Looks like a lot of folks quit. Or like me fryed their 'puters. I'll always be back. Even after they contact us. Thanks!

View next topic
View previous topic