LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
GibsonSG
Big Dog
Big Dog

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm   Post subject: This is one way to do liquid cooling.... Reply with quote Back to top  

This actually looks damn good. I don't see the point in using fans, and at the rate they're spinning it looks to me like they would just burn out after awhile. The page says they're gonna post an update later to let everyone know if that was the case or not.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Link

Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

the fans would need different motors or blades to compensate for the added resistance.
It looks cool,great eye candy.
Akely

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I decided, quite long ago that some day I would do that trick. But I will not have any fans. Passive heatsinks should suffice.

/Akely

Me: Thanks, son. I really try to be.
Son: You are fat and strange. But you are nice.

Dave Rave
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

if it ain't boinc'd it's not worth it
must have a radiator, pump for cooling

bit that is a sweet clean presentation

Last edited by Dave Rave on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akely

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'm not sure a radiator and pump is needed. Convection could suffice. Depending on what you run, of course. I was planning somithing lije a P3 or P4 and a fanless graphic cards.

Of course... if I did that I would have to set fire to the oil at the final. Cool

/Akely

twiztid
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Reading the article you'll find they did find it necessary to add a radiator. After ~12hrs of usage, the vegetable oil heated up to around 80*C and took quite a while to cool down, now the system remained stable with the oil at that temperature, but even still, that's damned hot.

I would definitely consider doing that myself, but I would want to do a little carving here and there to the aquarium, to allow the various ports to stick out of the case for easy access, and also add some sort of external mount points for hdd and optical drives.

Problem would be sealing it off so that there are no leaks where the ports stick out. I suppose some sort of gasket setup with some sort of adhesive/sealant might work.

Will have to look into it.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Hmm 80 degrees is a lot. And radiators for thick fluids is usually a bit more expensive. But one should be able to rip one off some hydraulic system at a scrapyard.

Regular silicone glue on a tube should be enough to fix leaks. After all, it is used to glue aquariums together.

This project is getting more complicated. I like it!

/Akely

twiztid
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

A buddy of mine is gonna junk his old Duron system, think I'll snag it from him and experiment. evil

Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Dave Rave wrote:
if it ain't boinc'd it's not worth it
must have a radiator, pump for cooling

bit that is a sweet clean presentation

Something like this:

That is a Corolla radiator, but surely you can find a V8 one for that extra cooling Wink

More info on the system pictures available here.

My piccies are here...
Akely

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Thanks! At least there is one system out there that looks cheaper and messier than mine.

I use an Opel/Vauxhal radiator, btw.

/Akely

BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Looks like this thing is still running strong after a year... Wink SmileBig Smile

Slymer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

bah... just use an aux trans/oil cooler... easier to mount to your case as well due to the smaller size.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
agrogod
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

In theory couldn't you just cool the air used to produce the bubbles and have that be your cooling system? Seems it would be less cost and a wee bit more reliable than trying to cut new ports into the contanier.

View next topic
View previous topic