LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Site Feedback
Poll

Should we reinstate LWC?
Yes, I'd use it if it was free
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Yes, I'd pay a fee for extra storage space
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
No, I would not use this service
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 am   Post subject: LittleWhiteCat.com Reply with quote Back to top  

Once upon a time, there was a third domain called LittleWhiteCat.com. We used it as an FTP site to host images which members could upload and then refer to as image tags in bbcode.

About 6 months ago, the host suffered a crippling disaster and the upload capability was lost completely. I am seriously considering reinstating it, by whatever means I have at my disposal, but I would like to do some capacity planning first.

For the uninitiated, FTP = File Transfer Protocol, and provides a means for you to "upload" and "download" files from a central server. In practical terms, I envision it being used to host pictures/images/movies which we would refer in both LBD's forums and LWD's articles. The Coppermine gallery, much as it is used, isn't easy enough to use by everyone and is resident on LBD's server. I envision LWC to remain a separate site, indeed, it is likely to remain a separate host as well.

I would add, that as a member service, you don't exactly have to use it to point at for pictures and other stuff. It would be a storage space on the Web, which you could always use for other (non commercial) purposes, like holding home movies (if you didn't like YouTube's compression) or other stuff. I'd probably make people sign an AUP just to protect myself.

This would be provided as a member service. As with all of our sites I'm not currently thinking of charging for the service, but do note the choice as I am gauging (not gouging) what kind of interest and in what kind of way.

I do realise that there are plenty of other storage options out there, and some people are all set. But a lot aren't and I'd like to offer the community this service again.

Jaymac

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I never used it much, but it was a great utility for those that did and a way for everyone to host things they wanted to share in the fora, so I would definitely support putting it online again. As I have other hosting options, I personally wouldn't pay, although maybe some other members would be happy to give a few pennies for the upkeep Smile

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds
"Ireland for the Irish, not for London or for Rome." - John Lennon

affabletoaster, Akely, AlexN, AnalogKid, anothersomeone, b-day girl, BamZipPow, blahpony, CheeseMonger The Great, dstg_II, Dutch, EdisonRex, eep, Elk, evilness, FatherBean, Fathertyme, Fido, horselady, je, jodygirl, KingKobra, krbshappy71, Lycander, mally, Murphy The Cat, nattiebo, OhioArt2, Olive, Pakiii, pastense, Quetzalcoatl, quijbe, Rahhstah, Rover, seca111, Skookum, sLaPpY, sully_51, Superdwarf, Tard, the taz man, Toast, Toxin, VirtualElvis, yiayia49

Olive
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

you kind of read my mind.

eerie!

The Olive Estate
--wonko "I really dont know what to say exept the purpose of a lake is not to kill someone."
--maple_shaft "I AM AN ATTENTION WHORE!!!!! "
--OhioArt2 "TOMaxwell did a pregnant zebra"
AnalogKid
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Exact same for me
thriftyjack
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

Wow,

That was the most rousing amount of ....eh. lol

If implemented, it could reduce the bandwidth load on LBD for you EDRex? I, myself just changed internet carriers and moved all of my hosted files. not fun for a noob working with comcast ack! But, a nice place to leave a file sounds good. Smile

Fold for the cures

*Thanks to Jaymac for folding sig!
EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

thriftyjack wrote:
Wow,

That was the most rousing amount of ....eh. lol

If implemented, it could reduce the bandwidth load on LBD for you EDRex? I, myself just changed internet carriers and moved all of my hosted files. not fun for a noob working with comcast ack! But, a nice place to leave a file sounds good. Smile

In the grand scheme of bandwidth, we're trying to make sure your local upload is not part of the equation. Siting the file storage on a large pipe (or at least a tariff pipe) means you don't get hit with whoever wants to see the file directly.

Bandwidth on LBD/LWD is not a problem right now. Trust me on that, and I do check it.

CMTG
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I used it a fair bit and would very much welcome it back. I currently use my home server to host forum related stuff, but being an ADSL connection, it is not very reliable. I have never used the gallery because often I want to link to more than just images. I also used it store large files that I wasn't willing to inflict on people in email attachment form, so I could just email links instead.

Very handy. I would pay a small fee to see its return.

onefast1
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'm all set with space but would be willing to help support it for those who dont have an option. I have a block of ip's and some bandwidth at the colo in Phoenix available to use for something like this. All depends on how you want to implement but I dont think it would be much trouble to get a machine running for this... just an idear.

the taz man
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I have some hardware I could donate to the cause if that is an option (I'd set up some sort of hosting to help out but I just don't have the know how to do it).
Olive
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

does anyone happen to have the LWC favicon laying around? I seem to have lost mine Embarassed

The Olive Estate
--wonko "I really dont know what to say exept the purpose of a lake is not to kill someone."
ThunderDawg
Alpha Dog
Alpha Dog

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

>>>

Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

thank you

The Olive Estate
BamZipPow
The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

I'd hit it...er...use it... Wink SmileBig Smile

View next topic
View previous topic