LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Dave Rave
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:39 pm   Post subject: Boinc is updated Reply with quote Back to top  

if you aren't watching your sah boinc clients, you will have missed that a new version is out ....
5.2.13 is returning results but no longer getting new work.
and the url you attach you now HAS to be
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

I've had a cpl using setiboinc and also setiboinc.ssl

major change, is now instead of the dual xeon whipping the results through in under 2 hours, they are up to 8 hours with the new enhanced version.
old was 6-8000 seconds of cpu - claimed credit 16
new is 34,000 seconds - claimed credit 50

more science, less mega crunching for numbers.

#1000th post
mmmmmm. pwn4g3 and stupidity

iceman - Yep - I did 10K WU for SETI, have you?
DRave - Yep, 5 times over
Olive
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

apparently they are pushing the new client through on a select basis. I believe there was a timeframe in which all users will finally get the new client. I haven't looked recently, but when they first announced it, it was not available for public dowload, and still may not be.

Reasoning was they didn't want too much traffic generated by the new client.

a few of my machines have been running 13 for a few days now.

The Olive Estate
--wonko "I really dont know what to say exept the purpose of a lake is not to kill someone."
--maple_shaft "I AM AN ATTENTION WHORE!!!!! "
--OhioArt2 "TOMaxwell did a pregnant zebra"
Dave Rave
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

uhm, yeh.....
I think I meant the BoincMgr wasn't getting new wu's
none of my 5.2.13 machines were getting new data to crunch,

i updated them all to 5.4.9 in new directories and they're all running again.
Olive
Tail-Wagger
Tail-Wagger

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

heh... and I guess I was talking about seti Enhanced.

PC I am on now is running one

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_enhanced.php

The Olive Estate
--wonko "I really dont know what to say exept the purpose of a lake is not to kill someone."
--maple_shaft "I AM AN ATTENTION WHORE!!!!! "
--OhioArt2 "TOMaxwell did a pregnant zebra"
Dave Rave
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

methinx they forgot to mention ......
Quote:
BOINC will download it automatically when you are given work to be done by the new version.

emphasis on ...
oy you lot, there's a new version.
guess what, you HAVE to get it !!!

typical help desk.
skildude

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

you may also note Seti_enhanced has a strange habit of preempting one WU for another. I thought it odd that this was happening but I'm willing to live with it since it really doesnt mess anything up

I decided to say something witty but am at a loss for words...

My clouds silver lining has been tarnished black . It still follows me around but makes outcomes a whole lot more grim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BMaytum
Stray Dog

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:10 am   Post subject: but I had to Force SAH to Update to Enhanced Reply with quote Back to top  

My PC with pre-Enhanced sat idle for 2.5 days, requesting but not getting any work. I suspected Berkeley had run out of non-enhanced WU's (esp. since SAH home page noted on 16May that ALL splitters (they make WUs) had been reconfigured to make Enhanced WUs.

My PC did NOT get any enhanced WUs nor did it update SAH client automatically to Enhanced. I poked around their message boards and FINALLY found tip to stop SAH & BOINC, go into your C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu folder and rename the file app_info.xml (I renamed to app_info.xml.OFF). Next retart Boinc Seti, and THEN it will get enhanced client and WUs, and you'll be crunching again.

My PC used to bang out pre-E WUs in less than an Hour, using Crunch3r's optimized SAH client. Now, stock Enhanced WUs range from 4-8 hrs. Supposedly the stock clients from Berkeley are well optimized. Nevertheless, I've switched to Crunch3r's optimized v5.15 client- too soon to tell if it bangs thru WU's any faster. Laughing
Dave Rave
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

you would have had that app_info file from putting in a non-std .exe to crunch faster.
skildude

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

THe idea is not to worry about how fast you are "bangin' " through WU's its the quality work being done. The Enhanced WU's are taking a longer look that the data and are expected to go longer. They have also leveled the playing feild so to speak. each WU is credited on the value of the data not the speed done. I complained numerous times on the S@H boards about the discrepancies between CPU makers. THey seem to have finally addressed this. AS another note. Optimizing the process may get you through the Work quicker however your claimed credit goes way down from it. You may get lucky and have 3 other folks that don't optimize so that you get higher credit than you deserver. but its about the science and not how fast you can turn out subpar quality WU's

I decided to say something witty but am at a loss for words...

My clouds silver lining has been tarnished black . It still follows me around but makes outcomes a whole lot more grim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

View next topic
View previous topic