LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM

LWD LWD   FAQ FAQ   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Active Topics Active Topics   Register Register  
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   Log in Log in  
  Who is Online Who is Online   Image Gallery Image Gallery   Chat Chat   Search Search  
  LWDGear       LBDGear  

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic     Reply to topic   LITTLEBLACKDOG.COM Forum Index » Mods and Ends
JustAnEngineer
Leg Humper
Leg Humper

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

A Pentium4 processor with Prescott core puts out more than 100W of heat by itself.
http://www.awdsgn.com/Classes/WebI_Fall02/JDamon/

If you've got a high performance video card and some hot hard-drives, they might add another 80W when you're playing 3D games.

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:43 pm   Post subject: Re: Comp Making Room Warm? Reply with quote Back to top  

BamZipPow wrote:
cygnusx wrote:
Could it be my fanless case producing all the heat? (HP Case Still)
A quick test would be to turn yer computer off one night and see... Wink Smile

Well...I run a webserver and a shoutcast server from this computer and I really can't shut it down for a whole night....it's shut down like twice a month or shut down if the power goes out Confused

I may just buy a new case and a bunch of those new thermaltake silent fans...a cold cathode with the on/off switch so I can turn it off at night so I can sleep, and ledless fans Wink

The Grim Reaper
The Grim Reaper

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

You can run some cooling software to cool it by software instead... Wink Smile

cygnusx
Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

BamZipPow wrote:
You can run some cooling software to cool it by software instead... Wink Smile

You find it Very Happy

Butt Sniffer
Butt Sniffer

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

asus probe says cpu is at 141F...is that good? Confused

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

ASUS Probe says I'm at 91 degrees, I never get over 93, even when gaming...then again, I've got an AMD XP2000, not real high end, so depending on what you've got the temp will be higher or lower...

Trying to find my way around a dark life, always breaking the important things...
I only get angry at stupid people, and they have to be with themselves 24/7 so they already got theirs. - quijbe

RIP Kidneyman - 4/29/05
smokinAMD
Guide Dog
Guide Dog

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

cygnusx wrote:
asus probe says cpu is at 141F...is that good? Confused

No, your computer has a fever. It needs 2 tylenol every 8 hours and plenty of sleep.
sLaPpY
Cat Chaser
Cat Chaser

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

It's actually amazing how much a single PC can heat.

My room many years ago was a little bit on the small side (back in the single days with 2 roomies)

I only had one PC and in the cold days would actually make me open the window, in the summer days, with AC on, would actually make me open the window Laughing

Let the heat out in the summer, let the heat out in the winter. As a fatter of mact (hehe) I am still using that same heatsink (thermalright sk6) on my barton 2500+( with 10k delta screamer, thats still running and has been for about 4 years straight)

tyme for an upgrade Rolling Eyes

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty Bag filled with vegetable soup

EdisonRex
Lead Dog
Lead Dog

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top  

tecgod13 wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:
so were you at Clarkson or SUNY Potsdam?

Clarkson. I had a good friend and roomate senior year that was dating a girl from SUNY.

In other news, the two AMD puters we have in the den seem to keep it really warm, wasn't fun in the summer, should be nice this winter.

I have some fond memories of long distance treks from Worcester (WPI) up to Clarkson and SUNY. I got stranded in Potsdam for a week when my clutch died in Massena on a beer run. That would have been in the spring of 1981.

Back on topic, I found some more dryer vent hose and the vent outlet that I was going to install for the dryer but never got around to (and then moved houses). I think I'm going to build a fresh air supply for under the desk. I need to find an inline fan that won't sound like a jet engine. I can draw fresh air from the cool(er) side of the room. As it is, the P4-EE running Folding on both hyperthreads is now at 42C and the FX5900 chip is running at 54C. Which I think is not too bad, considering. The case is a lot cooler than it was on Friday night when I started this exercise.

View next topic
View previous topic